MAG State Awards?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

momto2js

Proud Parent
We had our state meet this week and I am really proud of my guy. It was not his best meet and I knew something wasn't quite right. When he came out in tears before awards with a "my head hurts SOOOO bad". Not the best time for the first migraine of the pollen season. To add insult to injury, he was 17th overall and needed to be 15th for the regional (which was the goal of the year).

At this meet there were 18 in his group. They gave 2 awards for each event. I do not have an issue with going giving select awards, however if that is what we are going to do, then we need to be more consistent about it. Or at the very least they let us know in advance so we can prep kids. At every other meet they go out 50%. So to be in 3rd and not be in the medals was a shocker. How are awards handled at your state meet?

wow. 2 spots. that seems really low. d's age group had 17 and they went out 6 in the events and 17 in the aa (yes, ds who did 3 events got 16th....the 17th place kiddo did one event). but I have noticed at the upper levels that 6 seems to be somewhat standard, (and D has come in 7th multiple times!)

I have seen the older age group of level 9 only go out 2, but generally they even do 3 with only 3-4 boys in the age group. That seems very strange :(

Sorry to hear about his migraine. That is tough. Upside down is hard to do when your head is pounding. I hope he is feeling better today.

We had our state meet this week and I am really proud of my guy. It was not his best meet and I knew something wasn't quite right. When he came out in tears before awards with a "my head hurts SOOOO bad". Not the best time for the first migraine of the pollen season. To add insult to injury, he was 17th overall and needed to be 15th for the regional (which was the goal of the year).

At this meet there were 18 in his group. They gave 2 awards for each event. I do not have an issue with going giving select awards, however if that is what we are going to do, then we need to be more consistent about it. Or at the very least they let us know in advance so we can prep kids. At every other meet they go out 50%. So to be in 3rd and not be in the medals was a shocker. How are awards handled at your state meet?
Sorry for his headache and disappointment. As for awards, That is not something I've seen before. I've seen 50%, or at big mets either 1-8 or 1-10. Odd they didn't do 1-3 at least.

That's really stupid. I can see not wanting to go overboard, but with 18 guys, they should have gone out at least five places. So sorry he missed regionals too!

My guy did not have a great State meet either, so I feel for your DS! That does seem very unfair for awards -- I have never heard of them not going out to 3rd place, even when there were only 3 or 4 kids in the division! DS's division yesterday had 23 kids and they did top 10 on events and top 11 for AA. His younger teammate's division only had 6 boys, and they did top 3 for events and top 4 AA.

I'm also quite baffled by the award process. Last year, our state had 5 age groups for the level 4's, and awarded top 3 in all events. This year, the same state broke the 4's into 2 age groups, 7-8 and 9-18. There were over 40 kids in the 7/8 group and almost 20 in the older one. They only awarded the top 3 AA for the 2 groups and no event awards were given. My little guy, who competes as a 6 yo, was 5th AA, and would have taken first if the age groups were divided more.

I agree Top 2 is very strange. I have never heard of that - even when there are only 3 kids in a group. Top 3 is the minimum.

Many of our boys meets don't go 50% awards (more like top 5-10 out of 30-60 kids), but at least some go to 50.

Our States doesn't go out to 50% (or they'd be giving out 30 medals per event in some age groups), but it's definitely more than 2!!

Really sorry your son wasn't feeling well. I feel so sad that he didn't at least get some placement awards. Boo on that medaling decision.

Reactions: sce
Check with your coach regarding the details of this meet specifically, but for 18 athletes the minimum requirement as per the R & P is 1-6, AA and 1-3 events.

KRC

I thought the states set their own policies on awards. At any rate 2 out of 18 does seem silly.

I think of the state is going to do that we need so practice meets that are that way yoo. Then we have a chance to reframe expectations. I don't think the would be a bad idea, but to do it all the sudden with no warning, was tough

So we just had states this weekend. They did 1-3 for events regardless of how many guys in the group. I guess this is a new thing.

Interesting again. For D's level 9 age group, they did 1-6. Not sure about other levels.

So we just had states this weekend. They did 1-3 for events regardless of how many guys in the group. I guess this is a new thing.
I sort of liked it actually - quicker, but also made my boys value their one medal each all the more :)...of course, my older son only had a group of 6 to compete with while the little one had 19 in his level/age group......

I sort of liked it actually - quicker, but also made my boys value their one medal each all the more :)...of course, my older son only had a group of 6 to compete with while the little one had 19 in his level/age group......
Did your guys have a good state meet? DS did pretty well. PH was a problem with a fall, but others were good.

The annoying thing in our session was how long it took to give the medals to the one division with only two guys.

Also, I didn't realize it at the time, but for AA, while they called up top 6, only the top 3 guys got medals. Afterward, the 4-6 guys were asking each "did you get a medal? I didn't get a medal." They felt like if they were called up, they should have got something.

Both my boys were happy, made regionals and medalled once each - hard year for both of them with little guy growing and getting to be all legs and angles, but toward the end of the season all the drills started to pay off and his strength is starting to catch up a bit. Again only about 30-40% of the Level 6s from our state made regionals, but at least this year he was one of them! My older was basically back to were he was in September before his ankle stuff, so at least state was his best meet - Only 2 falls on pommel and didn't get deducted half his start value!!! Still no real dismounts due to the ankles. If he can stay healthy and make practice more he's got a good foundation in optionals now - and vault was great.

That's weird that the 4-6 kids didn't get medals - one of our team kids was 4th in an earlier session and got one....

I saw your DS on a few things...looking good - he's built more like my youngest - my other 2 are short and stocky with powerful legs...youngest more a swing type body...all the stuff that's easy for him was hard for older boy, and vice versa...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back