Parents State Meet-Mixed feelings of Happy and Sad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Firstly, I feel like a mac truck hit me this morning and backed up and hit me again. I am in the hotel room after SC State Meet with Bailey still sleeping from complete exhaustion. Here goes:

Start on beam--as most of you know, beam can go either way. She didn't practice the bwo series during warm up and I was a little concerned. turns out her back, that she has been having trouble with, was hurting her. She started and looked good and got to the series and wobbled after 1st bwo and so the series didn't count. Big deduction and finished with an 8.5. Kinda thought we were on a not so great streak at that point.

Next the floor---Usually really good on floor so not too worried. Going along great and 1/3 of the way into the routine, the music skips to the end. I stop the video camera, shows you how much I know, and Bailey is still going. Her music messed up and she had not even done her 2nd tumbling series. She continued as if nothing happened and ended up with a 9.3. I was so proud that she did not let the music distract her. Feeling a little better now.

Next to the vault--She did her vault and I couldn't even video it because I was so nervous from the floor music thing. Ends up with a 9.45 on vault. We are feeling great at this point.

Lastly, the dreaded bars--As some of you know, Bailey has just gotten her giant and was determined to compete it this year. They go to warm up and 3 rotations in, she is not making it. 4th times a charm and she completes the giant and ends up doing it when it is her turn to compete. Score was 9.125. Happy, happy, happy with that. Couldn't' have asked for more from her.

On to awards. Saw tons of high scores posting so not sure how Baileys scores would hold up in awards. She ends up:
Vault-1st (9.4)
Bars-6th (9.125)
Beam-7th (big surprise there) (8.5)
Floor- 4th
AA-3rd (36.4)

Not a bad day if you ask me. Team awards were last night around 10:30 pm. Baileys team came in 1st so they are SC level 7 state champions. Happy dance!!

Now to the disappointment-We had talked about regionals and that it would be very difficult to qualify this year because they were only taking the top 16 girls out of all Level 7's in SC. Well, she got her hopes up because of the decent scores she posted. She missed it by .4. If she had not wobbled between that bwo series on beam, that would have qualified her for regionals. I just hate that the qualifer has overshadowd her fantastic day at States.

Icing on the cake. I was able to meet JuJu's Mom. It was great to talk to her and I was able to update her on Bailey's progress throughout the day as she was working at checkin. What a small and wonderful gymnastics world we live in.

What wonderful results, great vault score. Lovely that she managed to overcome some of her demons on bars for this important day. Hope she manages to see the joy of her day, not making regionals is tough but she has come SO far this year with her bars, to end up placing at States is a massive acheivment.

My DD has now stopped doing BWO's due to back pain,just not worth it anymore. HAs she had it looked at?

Congrats to Bailey! What wonderful scores, it takes a lot of concentration to be able to put aside a fall on your first event and really go out and give it your all!

Good luck with her back.. I hope it is nothing serious....

BTW - if someone scratches regionals due to injury would she be able to go?

Congrates.Great scores.Way to go on those bars.Sometimes I don't like to watch warmup because it stresses me out.It can go either way they can have a good warmup and a bad competition or a bad warmup and then make it when it is their turn.

Congrats to her for competing her giant and doing so well on bars, that awesome vault, not letting a not so great start on beam get her down and mostly, for finishing up that floor with her music messed up and getting such great scores. Big bummer about regionals.

I hope her first place team finish, 3rd AA finish and Vault Champion (!!!) can keep her spirits up. Those what could have been with errors suck. Part of gymnastics and these girls never cease to amaze me with what they deal with (judging, scoring, the fact that they practice SOOOOOO much for 4 minutes in front of a judge) all the time.

Way to go!!! Great scores!!! 1st place vault champion is great!!!! Do they go to regionals in Level 7 in your area? We only have regionals in Level 8 here.

Congratulations on Bailey's vault state champ win!!!! That's wonderful!!! But I'm really so happy to hear she competed her giant & did soooo well!!!! Too bad about just missing regionals. But she has MUCH to be proud of!!! Congrats again!!:applause::applause::applause:

Congratulations on coming back from a rough beam and doing so well on all the other events, including state vault champ! wow! I'm sorry that her meet was overshadowed by the regionals thing. She really did have a fantastic meet. Congratulations to the team, too, on first place!

kevchriswilli, I think that Regionals for Level 7 is new this year and only in the region where SC is located.

Meg

Way to go!!! Great scores!!! 1st place vault champion is great!!!! Do they go to regionals in Level 7 in your area? We only have regionals in Level 8 here.
This is the first year that level 7 could qualify. I believe there were around 150 girls who qualified for States. Instead of a qualifying score like 8/9/10, they took the top 16 AA scores from State results. Had they set a score, 34 or 35 for 8/9/10, she would have made it with a 36.5 but being the first year, they decided on top 16. Want to say Congrats to the girls who did make it, they did an unbelieveable job. I believe as it turned out, an AA of 36.8 and up ended up qualifying.

Congrats on the great meet and sorry about regionals. She will be more than ready next year:)

As far as the back goes....I would definitely seek out an orthopedic. My dd had a sore back for 1 month before I decided to take her in. It turns out--it was fractured. Usually gymnasts get stress fractures and the treatment is rest, but if you catch it early...dd won't have to sit out as long. (My dd was out for 6 months total) There is also therapy to be done to protect the back as well. This type of fracture usually happens when they are between 11 and 14 years old and moving into the upper levels of gymnastics.

I hate to be a downer, but I wish I'd known before. Coming off a season is also the perfect time to rest the back...

Congrats on the great meet and sorry about regionals. She will be more than ready next year:)

As far as the back goes....I would definitely seek out an orthopedic. My dd had a sore back for 1 month before I decided to take her in. It turns out--it was fractured. Usually gymnasts get stress fractures and the treatment is rest, but if you catch it early...dd won't have to sit out as long. (My dd was out for 6 months total) There is also therapy to be done to protect the back as well. This type of fracture usually happens when they are between 11 and 14 years old and moving into the upper levels of gymnastics.

I hate to be a downer, but I wish I'd known before. Coming off a season is also the perfect time to rest the back...
You make a very good point. It never occurred to me that it may be a stress fracture. She had stress fractures on both wrists so that should have given me a "light bulb moment". I do take her to chiropractor for maintenance adjustments to keep her body in proper alignment so she does not incur unnecessary injury's. Thank you so much for mentioning that to me. Why is it you feel so stupid when you don't consider such an obvious possibility.

Nice scores!!! Congratulations!:D Sorry about regionals. My daughter did the same thing, missed it by .175! :( So close.

Icing on the cake. I was able to meet JuJu's Mom. It was great to talk to her and I was able to update her on Bailey's progress throughout the day as she was working at checkin. What a small and wonderful gymnastics world we live in.

It was so great getting to meet you and Bailey! You are the first CB'ers that I have gotten to meet. Thank you for keeping me updated on her progress and how each event was going. I got to watch very little gymnastics over the weekend as I was busy working from start to finish the entire weekend. I think getting to visit with you help me keep my sanity. I hope our paths cross again at a meet or 2 next season. I look forward to staying up to date on how you and your DD are doing.

Congratulations to Bailey on her 3rd place AA finish. One of our girls tied with her (got 4th AA) and was also sad about not qualifying to Regionals. Beam is what did it in for each of them. So frustrating...

Sorry for my late post... I am still trying to recuperate after the crazy hours I have been keeping due to the meet, doing the program and being sick the other week. I am finally starting to feel human again. Juju was so tired after a weekend full of raffle ticket and good luck gram sales that she ended up skipping practice on Monday afternoon :eek:.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back