WAG State meet vent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flippinam

Coach
Gymnast
Well I've reached the end of a difficult season. I've been battling a shoulder injury all year & for the past three weeks, dizziness & lack of balance. Just two weeks ago, it was so bad that I couldn't do a kip, ROBHS, or stand on a beam. Somehow vault was still fine though. Throughout that time, I worked extremely hard to figure out my body & I had my basic skills back by this Monday. But I was still missing my big level 7 skills (LO, HS BHS on beam etc)
I've been to doctors & had a battery of tests (MRI, blood tests x 100, saw an ENT, VNG, hearing tests, physical therapy etc.) Finally, on Thursday based on the VNG they diagnosed it as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). That is when the crystals in the inner ear have shifted out of alignment. So, I went to physical therapy the same day to get them realigned. It isn't a complete fix, as it takes a few treatments, but it helped some.
That night at practice I got the rest of my skills back, but still hadn't put them into a routine. So, we went into the meet expecting to scratch or leave out a lot. I ended up doing much better than expected!
Sorry this is so long. Now for the vent! I got RIPPED OFF on vault! At every meet leading up to this, I had scored 9.6's on vault, & at the meet, my vaults looked identical to what they had at previous meets. Yet, I scored a 9.3. And at state, the judges were scoring very high. Everybody else's scores went up significantly from what they'd been at previous meets.
Well, I ended up placing 27th AA. The top 26 qualify for regionals. So I missed qualifying by one place & one tenth!!! So, if I had just scored a 9.4 on vault, which is still low for me, I would have made it! This is the third time that this has happened to me! At south state, the top ten qualify for state. I placed 11th two years in a row in old level 6!! Vent done! Thanks for listening!

Oh girl, I am sorry! That stinks! Being the first one "not in" is one of the hardest things to feel (for me at least). I am proud of you for how hard you worked and how determined you were to push through this tough end of the season. (((hugs)))

(Hugs) that is so disappointing!
Hope your health is all fixed soon and you can come back even stronger next season.
But still very disappointing for this year. Be proud of what you have achieved against the hardships you've had, many wouldn't have battled through.

Yes, there were some BRUTAL state championships this weekend! Sorry this happened to you! Just know you aren't alone!! I know of some girls that scored 37.5+ AA and will not be going to regionals! In TX Jr. A division, it took above a 38 to qualify so there are lots of disappointed gymmies out there tonight.

Thank you everybody for the encouragement! It really does help. I am very grateful for the kind words! Today I had a great practice. The therapy is helping & my balance is improving. I landed 8/10 BHS on beam today, which last week with the issues, I only landed one all week!
GYMOM, yes the competition was brutal!! So glad I'm not in one of the younger age groups! The good news is that most of the ones who didn't qualify in those groups will make it at large.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back