WAG Steps on vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

esor

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Has anyone experienced an issue where DD or DS have lost their timing/steps on vault? DD is going through that right now, and it is really weird. I know she recently grew about half an inch, so not much. I have seen one other girl at the gym have the same problem. She says she's not afraid (she's aLevel 8, so first year flipping), and is very logical about it all, and just said "Mom, can you get me a private so I can figure this out?", which I will do. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

This has happened to my YDD on DM. I know it's not exactly the same but I think of DM as T&T's closest thing to vault. She will run sometimes and just start on the wrong foot, or in the wrong spot, or who knows what, and will completely miss her pass. When asked what happened she said she messed up her steps. I have actually seen her slow mo her run once, just to watch where each foot goes to fix it. Sorry I was no help- hopefully it's a temporary thing as her gait must have changed with the growth she had...

Happened with us too. Stupid growth spurts (or in our case growth sputters). We've have several growth periods to deal with over the last couple years. Seemed like the biggest impacts were to vault and bars (where more piking was required on the giants). It just takes a little time for them to figure it out.

Happend to my DD when she grows. Some times it happens when she is using a different board where the springs are just a bit tighter or looser.

Has anyone experienced an issue where DD or DS have lost their timing/steps on vault? DD is going through that right now, and it is really weird. I know she recently grew about half an inch, so not much. I have seen one other girl at the gym have the same problem. She says she's not afraid (she's aLevel 8, so first year flipping), and is very logical about it all, and just said "Mom, can you get me a private so I can figure this out?", which I will do. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.
=
Growing yes, but....... the leading culprit in Steps Today and Gone Tomorrow is......
ANXIETY, will cause you to doubt your steps. Once you start doubting your steps you change them which....... Screws them up! And of course State meet is coming up or regionals and bingo, more stress. She just needs to have someone explain that to her, tell her it's okay, no one stole her steps and she needs to JUST RUN, and do a bunch of run throughs, (move the vault or run the other way). This happens every year to someone on my team and making them understand that nothing is wrong with the steps and it's just the mind playing tricks is key. On a side note, the way to avoid it becoming an issue is 2 baulks in one workout and I send the child to go to some other drill without saying a word. usually they are fine the next day. But if it persists then, re-read above. :) IT WILL BE OKAY

Ah coachp, I was wondering about anxiety! Vault has been the hardest for her this year, and the timing was a bit uncanny with States coming up. Her coach has been great with it, definately not stressing her out about it. He doesn't look too worried either. She started this the day before she go the flu, and came back after the weekend and a couple of days off and still having issues. I am wondering if it was a mix of anxiety and illness. I really trust her vault coach and will touch base with him about it too just to get his take :)

After coming back from any injury where I had been only working on bad leg skills for awhile, I had the worst time doing my vault run! I'd slow down right before the spring board to make sure I had the correct foot in front! Needless to say it just has taken me some time and extra practice to get that back! Hope your DD gets her fault worked out!

it is more likely than not that this is happening because they do not start with their feet together.

kids do lots of weird stuff down there at the beginning of the run. they'll have the least amount of problems if they establish the start with both feet together and starting with the same foot each time. consistency is everything.

I go through this nearly every time I vault as I don't vault very often at the moment (once a month). It's due to nerves and limping that my steps are off. I feel both too close and too far from the board at the same time and that's very difficult to rectify when you do a yurchenko entry.

This is not uncommon and I find it best to just force myself to go before I have too long to think about my steps before I start running. Not the best advice, I know. But I know I'm capable of my yurchenko as I've done if for 4 years now so this works for me. Because I'm a college club gymnast, if my steps just don't work one day I just choose not to vault.

I had the most awful time with my steps and it caused me to have a terrible mental block on just going on vault! What went through my head while sprinting would be "what if I am too close to the springboard" or "I'll hurdle on the wrong foot". It just takes time, practice and persistence, honestly. Repetition is what finally got me in the routine of getting my steps figured out

In a word, YES!
My kid is tiny. Judges have actually asked her coach if she is old enough to be at the level she is. We were thrilled she grew a wee bit in the past few months. But it wreaked havoc on her run. I never would have thought it. She went from an amazing vault to a vault that was not so amazing. She seems to have it back, but I now no longer want her to grow until after September, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back