Parents Steve Nunno's Zoo Review

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pixie had a fabulous meet! But, we had the road trip from H*E*DOUBLE*HOCKEY*STICKS, lol!

Well, the Level 4's had to be there at 7:45 am. Yes, you read that right. 7:45 AM!! :eek:

Since the gym was a 3 hr 45 min drive for us we decided to leave the night before so we wouldn't have to get up and get ready for the meet at 3:00 in the morning. We got started off late about 8:00 at night. While driving in the middle of nowhere we hit a railroad tie that was laying in the road! Ittook out two of our tires, jacked up the suspension and alignment and destroyed the catalytic converter. Needless to say, we were stranded. We had to call for a tow truck from the nearest big city which was an hour and a half drive away.

They finally got there but we then had to wait for my father to come pick us up in a vehicle that could hold my dad, Pixie, her two brothers and me. My husband had to ride in the tow trick, lol! He went with the tow truck and dropped the vehicle off at my dad's while my dad took me and the kids to the airport to rent a minivan since they were the only car rentals open at that hour of night. We then had to drive to my dad's house and pick up my husband.

After all of that we finally got back on the road. My mom was up from Texas and meeting us to go to the meet and visit with the kids. So she had reserved a hotel room for us. We didn't get in until after 3 in the morning!

I let Pixie sleep until 6:30 which caused us to be 15 minutes late to the meet but all was good as Pixie got 1st place All Around, haha!! Can you believe that!?! After all of that and no sleep she rocked the meet! Kids are so resilient, I tell ya!

The meet was as Steve Nunno's new gym. I honestly have to say the gym was tiny and not an ideal place to hold a meet. I'm also a bit surprised at the location of the gym since it is no more than two miles from Bart Connor's gym...on the same road! Steve was a gracious host, however, and really seemed to enjoy the kids.

First up was floor: they were scoring tough on floor! Pixie scored a 9.1 and that was the highest score on the event.

Bars: Pixie has been struggling on bars not sure what is going on there. Even in practice she's been off a bit but nothing major. 9.3

Vault: I honestly couldn't see it from where we were sitting since it was so far back behind the beam and the gymnast and coaches standing but I guess she did really well on her nemesis event! 9.5

Beam: from our awkward angle she looked like she did an amazing job! Just a small bobble on the turn everything else looked so good 9.6

Floor: 9.1 ~ 1st place
Bars: 9.3 ~ 3rd place
Vault: 9.5 ~ 2nd place
Beam: 9.6 ~ 1st place

All Around: 37.4 1st place!!

I can't even tell you, after all that we had been through, how proud I am of her! If I ever doubted her love for gymnastics she put it to rest when after the accident she asked me with tears in her eyes "Are we still going to the meet?"

Oh, and just an update on her uptraining for those that may remember my thread about it...

Her coach let her jump to the high bar without a spot (and without grips) for the first time the other day and she got it on her first try! She also got her long hang kip. She has not tried the whole routine in entirety but she has now achieved all the level 5 skills, including vault, woohoo! I don't think they will move her up, however, since she already had her first meet of the season.

Anyway, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmH2zfVG6tE

Sorry, so long! I swear I don't talk this much in person...I'm actually a really shy :D

Last edited:
The internet has a way of making us more chatty! Glad you all managed to deal so well with such a nasty drive

Pixie did a wonderful job, her beam routine is lovely. Great AA and a great start to your season.

The internet has a way of making us more chatty! Glad you all managed to deal so well with such a nasty drive

Pixie did a wonderful job, her beam routine is lovely. Great AA and a great start to your season.
Thanks, Bog! It was pretty scary. It felt like we bottomed out and my husband was having a heck of a time stopping on only two tires (we were going about 65 mph when we hit it) it was so loud and the whole vehicle was shaking so violently. My youngest son started screaming and crying. He was completely freaked out. He's also very excitable. We are very lucky. It certainly could have been much much worse.

That was her highest all around score ever and her very first AA 1st place since moving up to USAG (she got a 1st AA when she was preteam L4 however)! She couldn't get over it. She kept asking me can you believe I got first all around? :D

Last edited:
Congrats to Pixie. What a huge meet after such a horrible night. Glad that no one was hurt and that you all got there safely, albeit tiredly.

Tell Pixie that I KNEW she was going to rock this season and that she totally deserved that first AA. Abby was pretty quiet watching her routines, which means she had nothing to critique. She is such the mini-coach when she watches L4 routines on YouTube now. LOL. Very beautiful routines!

Congrats to her on getting all her L5 skills, too. Maybe they will move her up, you never know. :) Hope they keep her challenged. She might like this podium time. :D

Omg !what a horrible trip for you guys I am happy to hear no one got hurt! If my dd only got 3hrs of sleep it would have been scary !LoL
Way to go Pixie!!!!!!!You looked awesome and so deserved that 1stAA!!! You rock!

Congrats on such a great meet and the AA! And after all of that stress the night before. She sure showed what a little trooper she is! Her video was great, she did a beautiful job!!

Big bummer on the trouble getting there, but WOW--maybe you should have trouble before every meet! Congrats to her!!

Wow! I can't believe all that car trouble and in the middle of the night no less :eek:. That's crazy!!! But I am glad to hear that Pixie did so well at the meet! It is amazing how resiliant kids are when it comes to circumstances and no sleep!!! Congrats to Pixie. Adorable video btw!!!

Wow, what great routines and great scores! Congrats to her! :D So sorry to hear about your car troubles. That must've been a scary thing, especially with 3 kids in the car! Pixie really must work well under pressure to do that well on such little sleep! WTG!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what an amazing job she did, and after a difficult night with a scary car accident and almost no sleep! Wow, she is real competitor. Congratulations to Pixie on her best ever AA and her first 1st AA at USAG! That is awesome!! Also great news that her coach is letting her jump to the high bar and work on the entire Level 5 routine.

Meg

Way to go Pixie! She has beautiful form I'm sure she will be bringing home lots of bling this season! Glad to hear no one was hurt in the car accident.

Wow, what an adventure! It'll make a great story for years to come, lol. Congrats to Pixie on a fabulous meet. Way to go, 1st AA is awesome! And congrats on the level 5 skills also.

OMG!!! What an ordeal!!! So glad it all worked out & no one was injured in the car accident. A BIG congratulations to Pixie for doing so well, especially under such crazy circumstances!!!! 1st AA WTG!!! Yes, this is a gym story you will never forget!!!

Thank you all for the super sweet replies! Pixie loved reading them all!!

She has another meet this weekend but we are hosting so we don't have to drive anywhere...thank goodness, lol! Pixie told me, yesterday, that her coach explained to her that she has all the skills but will not be moved up until the routines are no longer sloppy, haha! So, who knows how long that will be. They have started letting Pixie do the L5 floor routine to music but they have not taught her the beam routine from start to finish. She kinda knows it but they only practice the big skills and pieces at a time. I suspect when they start teaching her the beam routine from start to finish that she will be getting close to moving up. Though, if it's much farther into the season they may just let her finish out L4 this year.

Who really knows. It's pretty much speculation since they don't communicate their intentions too often.

At this point I think Pixie feels much better about repeating L4. Especially since she got 1st AA. heh!

You are all so encouraging to her with your kind words and I really appreciate that :)

Pixie has always been a beautiful little gymmie, but boy has she polished everything! Congrats on a wonderful meet! Sorry to hear about the scary car ride! Even more impressive that she did so well. Glad that everyone came out unhurt! It was all those fairies/angels following you to Pixie's meet!

Pixie has always been a beautiful little gymmie, but boy has she polished everything! Congrats on a wonderful meet! Sorry to hear about the scary car ride! Even more impressive that she did so well. Glad that everyone came out unhurt! It was all those fairies/angels following you to Pixie's meet!

You know this statement really got me thinking. I'm always so caught up in the now. With Pixie training L5 all summer then having the rug pulled out from her last minute and now her coaches telling her if she polishes her L5 skills/routines they may move her up...and her last meet and how well she did given the circumstances...I just didn't stop to realize how far this little girl has come in such a short time!

I am so proud of her for working her bootie off I just need to make sure I keep telling her that :)

Thanks for the reality check. I needed that! ~hugs

oh! And this gave me an idea for a thread, lol!!

Wow, what a crazy night !! Not sure I would have made it through all that !!!

What a trooper Pixie is, loved the video, she's a great gymmie.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back