MAG Still Possible to be a Competitive Gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hey guys this is my first post on the ChalkBucket! I really want to be able to compete level 8 my senior year of highschool but I have a few questions. Can a 17/18 year old even compete level 8? I'm currently a sophomore and I've been doing gymnastics for 3 months although I've progressed really fast. I know it might sound crazy to go from almost no background knowledge in gymnastics to level 8 ( probably because it is crazy!) in about 2 years, but I really think I can do it. I'm currently about a level 5 with some 6/7 skills.

Going from no knowledge to around a 5-6 in 3 months gives me hope that I'll be able to progress to 8 in the next year and a half but I'm not sure. I almost have the level 7 floor routine down minus the FHS front tuck. Would it be possible to start training level 8 for next season which would give me 6-7 months

Here is a list of what I can do on each event

Floor
RO BHS Btuck/layout
punch front and punch front full
missing press handstand
going to start training arabians soon and FHS step out FHS

Vault
FHS
not sure what vault to train for 8 but open to suggestions.

Pbars
level 5 routine, need the kip for level 6

High Bar
Baby giant
working on kip
back hip circle undershoot
chinup pullover

Rings
inlocate
working on dislocate and back uprise
muscle up
btuck dismount
back lever

Pommel
can do up to 5 circles or so on mushroom
working on false scissors
I'm not very good at pommel

The gym I go to is very well run and I'm currently going 8 hours a week but will probably increase hours per week when possible

I'm pretty sure the 2013 allows the coaches to determine what level to place a gymnast in so I wouldn't have to compete 6/7. I may be wrong but I don't know

There should not any reason why not, I mean a 40 year old could compete level 3 if they wanted too. But I have heard that USAG has an upper age limit of 19 for their JO levels for MAG while no age limit exists on WAG. Is this accurate anyone?

i think it's ludicrous, age should have nouns to do with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back