Parents Stopping by to say hello

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It has been a while since I have visited since daughter has quit gymnastics last spring. We have had a busy summer, daughter actually had a great summer unfortunately she did not miss those long hot practices in the gym. She had alot of fun doing swimteam and basketball. Now that fall has come around she is still okay with her decision not to continue gymnastics. I am starting to adjust and feel better also about her decision. I think she will always like to sport but no longer wants to do it because of the constant pain and commitment it takes to do the sport. She did a talent show this summer and came in second place doing gymnastics with another former gymnast. She is still able to do backhandsprings but it still hurts her wrist. Her heels feel much better but she still has intermittent lower back pain. Luckly when she went for her follow up appointment at the orthopedic doctor he said growing is causing this and she is going to start a physical therapy regime because her hamstrings and back of her thighs are so tight. He attributed this to growing the muscles have to stretch and catch up with the bones. She actually grew 5 inches this year so that is probally what contributed to all the injuries and difficulties she was having with gymnastics. We are still planing to go see her former teammates compete this year and she is still looking forward to watching gymnasts at the olympics.
The good news is she is able to do volleyball this fall and is going back to her old dance school and her teacher is going to let her start point shoes. She has also found a new passion irish dancing. She has been irish dancing around the house the same way she used to do handstands. She is in a beginer class but the teacher says she will be able to move up in a couple of months(most of the girls starting out are way younger than her but there are a few older girls). They have competitions that start at the beginer level and they also do lots of festivals, shows and parades. Since they dance on there toes and have to be tight similar to the balance beam daughter seems to be picking up on it very fast. I also think that there is not many things as hard as gymnastics so I think it has been easy for daughter to transition to other stuff.
I hope everyone has a great meet season. Looking forward to hearing everybodys progress. For the parents whose daughter are just starting out it is very easy to get wrapped up in the sport, but try to enjoy it and focus on today, you never know what the future will bring. For the parents whose daughters decide to leave gymnastics it does get better with time and life goes on.

Wow sounds like you are all busy and that she is enjoying herself while she fully heals. Glad to hear from you and hope things continue to go well. Can't believe another school year is upon us and it's back to crazy schedules lol :)

So glad you popped in to say hi & update us. It sounds like she is doing great! Boy, 5" is crazy, I thought my DD's 3 was a lot. The Irish dancing sounds fun, I bet she moves up fast.

I hope you keep stopping by & letting us know how things are going.

Isn't lovely how she is moving along, and you right there with her!

I hear you on the growth thing, same happened to my older DD one year, that was the year she really got injured a lot. Long bones, shorts muscles and ligaments, she was so tight all the time.

Thanks for checking in.

It's definitely a hard adjustment!! Glad to hear your DD is already so involved in many other things! 5" in one year???? oh my gosh that is A LOT!!!! No wonder she was in so much pain...

Thanks for updating us. I hope to report back in the near future on other things DD has gotten involved in....

That's so good that she's found other things that she enjoys. Hopefully with some physiotherapy some of these niggling things will go away.

I am glad that she is at peace with the decision. It sounds like she has found lots of other new stuff to do, volleyball will be great for her and it is nice that she has gotten back into dance, too. I love to watch Irish Dancing, that will be so much fun for her!

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how you all are doing!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back