Story I wrote for CA about gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wrote this for a writing test in CA. I hope you like it!

Living the Dream!

“Oh my gosh! This is amazing!!â€￾ Senna said as her and her fraternal twin Cassie walked into their new elite gym. The smell of the new leather on the balance beams, and the sight of the new uneven bars got the girls very excited! Afterall, only one month ago, they were at their unknown gym in Oklahoma and today they were at the second best elite gym in America! They got the call from Danielle McAdams who said that she had heard how Cassie got a 10.0 on bars and Senna got a 10.0 on vault at the Regional Competition in Oklahoma. On the day that they got the call, they were in total shock! They couldn’t believe that they were going to be on the same level that Carly Patterson was at!! They’re only 15 and they’re at an elite gym! They never thought this would happen to these small town country girls!
They admired the gym for about 5 minutes and then the coaches called all the girls over to meet one another. “Hello my fellow gymnasts, these are your new teammates. We’ve got Cassie and Senna who are twins and they both got a 10.0! Every time a gymnast anywhere in the US gets a 10.0 the National Committee has to be notified. After that they then contact the main elite gyms and we knew we needed these power houses! There’s also Katie, Ana, and Maggie who won a medal at the Junior Olympics. Alyssa, Sarah, Maddie, and Hailey are from Texas and they declined WOGA for us, so we feel special! Julia, Kaelin, Hannah, Natalie and Kylie, well we saw some of their routines, and we knew they needed to be with us!â€￾ Jeremy said. The girls all started talking to each other and then Beth spoke up and said “Oh and by the way I’m Beth, that’s Jeremy, and that’s Danielle and lastly that’s Steve. We’ll make sure you all do great in competition!â€￾
All of the coaches went on one of the four events to help the girls. On floor Cassie had been trying to work on her double back pike, but always landed on her back. Danielle gave her pointers like not leaning your head back, and to push off harder from her back handspring. After four tries she finally got it! She was ecstatic! She then did her full tumbling pass and included her double back pike and stuck it!! Senna was watching her from beam and screamed, “Way to go Cass!! Congratulations sis! It’s what you’ve been working on for so long!!!â€￾ “Thanks!â€￾ Cassie said.
Now it was time for Senna’s turn at beam. She had been trying to work on four tumbling passes and then a double back as a dismount, but every time she tried she would always end up on her knees or back. Beth gave her some pointers on how to land it like to push really hard off the beam and go right into the double back, and to extend her legs earlier. After only two tries she landed it, she didn’t stick it, but at least she landed it.
On bars Cassie was good at everything and more! She just wanted to work on a harder dismount so Jeremy said to try a one and a half but Cassie said she could already do that and said she wanted to try double with a twist. She had never done it before, but the first time she tried she stuck it! Everyone was amazed, and all started cheering. All the coaches agreed to have Cassie be the only gymnast to have a pak salto for the first big meet in a month, and the only one with a double with a twist for the dismount. Cassie was so excited, she couldn’t believe it!!!
On vault Senna wanted to try to work on a round off and then a twist on the horse. She got the round off twist, and tried a one and a half; she was about ready to land on her back when Josh caught her!! Josh said “At least you got your round off twist!â€￾ Senna was out of breath and all she could say was “yeah...â€￾ Senna got up and ran over to Cassie. “Are you ok?â€￾ Cassie asked. “Yes, I am defiantly ok, thanks to Josh!â€￾ Senna replied. Then all of the sudden a loud noise shrieked through the gym and all the girls got quiet “Everyone, nice job today. Unfortunately, though, it’s the end of practice. We will see you all tomorrow at 7:30!â€￾ Steve exclaimed through a mega phone. All the girls went to their lockers got their things and left to go home.
The girls woke up, ate some breakfast and then left for the gym. When they got there everyone was there. They ran in and got to stretching. After all of the necessary warm up stuff they went and met with their coaches. Once they got on the floor the coaches said that every day they would do all of the events and work on skills and deciphering their routines step by step. They all picked the event they wanted to start on. Cassie chose floor and Senna chose vault. At floor, Cassie and Beth brought the mat over so Cassie could work on a new pass. Cassie lined up for her tumbling pass…started running into her round off…..double back handspring…layout...then her double back pike….BOOM! The floor was thunder! Everyone turned, looked, and…CHEERED! She stuck it! Like totally stuck it! Never moved, never flinched!!! Cassie’s expression was indescribable! All you can say was she was ecstatic to say the least! “Oh my gosh that was amazing... like I was flying through the clouds! It was freaking great!!â€￾ Everyone started laughing and chanting her name! Alyssa told people that she had got a new release from high to low bar and a Geinger in her routine and wanted the girls and coaches to watch. They couldn’t wait to see it! She began her routine. When she was in mid air she reached for the low bar and actually made it!!! She was in her last giant before her flyaway and she released, was in the air, when she reached for the bar, she got it! Everyone was cheering but then they stopped and remembered she was still doing her routine. When Alyssa was doing her back somie dismount, she landed on her ankle wrong and she fell! Senna and Cassie were worried! They didn’t know what happened!
As Alyssa fell to the ground they ran over to see if she was ok. She had landed underneath part of her foot and heard her ankle pop and then she just collapsed. She sat up fine, but when she tried to stand she started to fall. Everyone started freaking out and Danielle went with Alyssa to the hospital. Once they left everyone got back to work. Cassie went to vault and started warming up her tsuk. She did them all perfectly, and then Josh said “try doing a double front vault!â€￾ She couldn’t believe what Josh just said! “What?! A double front? Are you kidding me? You have to be! I’ve never tried a double front vault before! I’ve only done a single front handspring! I told my coach I’d do a double front when pigs fly!â€￾ Cassie shouted.
Josh replied “Cassie, I just made a suggestion. I thought you might get a better start value and better score in competition. I would never tell someone to do a vault that they’re not capable of! You can do whatever you want, but gymnastics, especially elite, is all about taking risks and chances. How do you think Nadia Comaneci got the first 10.0? She did it by taking chances.â€￾
“I’ve taken chances! I have, I really have! I’ve taken chances on bars, beam floor and now, I guess, vault!â€￾ Cassie said with a big grin on her face.
Josh ran over and gave a big hug to Cassie. “Yes! Thank you Cassie, I know you can do this!!! I just know it!â€￾ Josh exclaimed. Cassie’s heart was beating out of her chest as she walked to the top of the runway. She took a deep breath, let it out and started running! She hurdled onto the springboard, hand springed onto the horse, did her first tuck, her second tuck, and then she did a third!!!! It was an amazing sight to see! She got so much power off the horse that she did a third tuck not realizing it! She came out of her tucks and ka-boom! She landed on the mat but she got so much force from her landing that she over rotated and did what you’re suppose to do if you over rotate and did a forward roll. She stood back up with a smile as bright as the sun!
“Oh my gosh! Did I just do a triple?!â€￾ Cassie screamed. No one replied. Instead everyone just stood there with a blank expression on their faces like time was frozen. Just then the entire gym roared with screams and applause. “Cassie, oh my gosh, you just did a vault hardly no one can do! Way to go Cass!â€￾ Senna screamed at the top of her lungs. “Cassie Ann Hargett! You just did a vault with the start value of a 10.0! This vault is now going to be your vault for your tryout for the National Team!â€￾ Jeremy blurted out with excitement! “Whoa, this is INSANE! This is the best moment of my life!â€￾ Cassie said with hysterics coming down from her eyes.
Weeks went by of just normal training. Everyone learned new tricks and started choreographing their routines piece by piece. Ana got her full on floor, and her aerial walkover on beam. Hannah got her double front on floor, a double full in for her dismount off bars and her front pike on beam. Katie got a new dismount which was a Half in, half out and a back walkover to rufolva on beam. Kaelin and Sarah both got their 1 ½ yurchenko on vault and Sarah got her McCool mount on beam. Kylie got her Tkatchev on bars and a new leap series on beam. Hailey got her double pike to cartwheel layout on floor. Maggie and Natalie both got their Geinger release on bars and round off twist onto vault. Julia and Maddie both got a Garrison on floor. Cassie kept on training her new vault and worked her arabian on beam. Senna worked her switch leap to back tuck on beam and a full jump turn to shushunova on floor.
The day finally came when National Committee came for the try out’s for the National Team. Three people from all the other elite gyms made it, so potentially three people from Sapphire could make it too! However, there are three alternates so six people from Sapphire could make the team. Everyone was nervous and all were hoping they’d make the team. Cassie and Senna were very nervous. They knew that more than likely only one of them would make the team. They had hoped though that they’d both make the team!
The National Committee called all the girls over to wish them luck and to start the tryouts. The first event was beam, and Katie was up first. She landed all her skills and landed her dismount. Then came Kaelin, Ana, Sarah, Kylie, Hailey, Maggie, Hannah, Natalie and then Julia. All of them did well, no one fell, and no one fumbled their dismounts. It was good! Cassie was next. Her heart was pounding and had butterflies in her stomach. Cassie knew she needed to stick her dismount! She totally stuck her landing; her routine was flawless! She didn’t even have one balance check! Cassie was ecstatic. She thought she might actually have a chance at making the National Team!!
Maddie was up and her routine was spot on, up until her front tuck. She did everything perfect up until the landing of her front tuck. In the air her legs had some how straddled apart, and wham, she split the beam! She got back up and continued her routine. Her dismount was the best she’d ever done! It was just really unlucky that she split the beam, because if she didn’t she would’ve gotten almost a perfect score! As she walked over all the girls kept telling her how good everything was and that she still has a chance at the National Team. She said thanks but then started crying. She had split the beam so hard her thigh was bleeding and already had a bruise! She got some ice and sat on the side.
Meanwhile, Senna was doing her routine. She had changed one of her passes to a back handspring back handspring back tuck to rufolva. She did that pass better than before! Her dismount wasn’t the best though, she misjudged the time of the landing and under rotated and took two big steps. After the committee decided Senna’s score, they let everyone know who was ahead. Cassie was in first, second was Katie, and third was Kylie.
Vault was next, and almost everyone had the same vault, except Cassie, Senna, and Maddie. All the girls that had the same vault did well, except for Julia. She fell on her back because she over rotated. Cassie did great; she was very close to sticking it! Maddie did amazing she stuck it!! She was so happy after the incident on beam. Senna’s vault had been pretty bad and they were questioning whether they should change it. Senna kept telling them she could do it, so they let her do her vault. Senna knew she needed to prove them right, and she did!! This was the best vault she’d done by far! Her face was glowing after she walked over to the team, she was ecstatic! The standings after the two events were Katie, Kylie, Maddie, Senna, Cassie, Maggie, Hailey, Sarah, Ana, Natalie, Hannah, Kaelin and lastly was Julia. “You all are doing great! Congratulations! Are you guys ready for floor? I hope so because that’s what is next! I wish you all the best of luck!â€￾ Ellen Belies said.
First up on floor was Cassie, and she rocked that floor! It was probably her best routine she’d ever done! Shockingly, no one went out of bounds, but some did fall. Katie had the worst fall. It was near the beginning of her routine and it just took her flair right out of her routine. Senna did the best out of everyone! She had one of the hardest routines, behind Cassie. After the scores were out the standings were; Senna, Maddie, Kylie and then Cassie. Cassie knew she needed to rock bars; otherwise she wouldn’t be on the National Team.
All the girls, except for Cassie, had easy routines. Katie and Kylie had the hardest release which was a Tkatchev. Kylie’s score was a 9.875 and Katie’s was a 9.655. Kylie’s score was the highest score of the day! Cassie’s pak salto was flawless; she flew like a beautiful bird. Luckily no one fell on their dismounts, but Kaelin did fall on her release over the high bar. Besides that every one did great!
“Congratulations everyone! You all did phenomenal! Sapphire’s team this year beat WOGA’s with the overall scores! Let me be the first to tell you that has never happened before! Anyway, the 3 people officially on the National Team along with Shawn Johnson, Nastia Lukin and Rebecca Bross are: Kylie, Maddie, and ahead by the fourth place person by only three- tenths of a point is…Senna! Cassie, you are our runner up incase someone gets hurt or breaks a rule. Everyone did amazing, you all should be very proud of yourselves! Cassie and Senna, we are all very sorry you both aren’t on the team.â€￾ John Fields announced.
“It’s ok. I understand. You did what you had to do. I’m happy for my sister; she’s an amazing gymnast and more importantly an amazing sister!â€￾ Cassie said while she started to cry.
All the girls applauded and gave hugs to each other. They were happy for their teammates, some more than others. The coaches gave Kylie, Maddie, and Senna a rose and threw confetti all over them. The coaches couldn’t believe how good the girls did today! They decided to get all the girls a brand new leotard. The girls shrieked with joy, a new leotard is a million times better than a new pair of shoes or a new dress! “Oh my gosh! Thanks so much you guys, I’ve been needing a new leo! Do we get to pick the one we want?â€￾ Maggie asked.
“Well of course you do! We’ll give you the catalog tomorrow and you can pick them out then! Well this rounds up the end of the National Team tryouts! You all can go ahead and go home, since you all are probably very tired!â€￾ Steve exclaimed.
The girls all nodded their heads, and started walking to their lockers to get their things. Cassie went to the bathroom, and Senna just thought that she just had to go to the bathroom, but she didn’t. Maggie went in to check her hair because she had to go to her friends’ party, and as she walked in she heard someone crying their eyes out.
Maggie ran out to Senna screaming “Senna, Senna, your sister is in the bathroom balling her eyes out!! I walked in and walked out because I figured you should talk to her first!â€￾
Senna replied, “Oh my gosh! Are you serious? Wait here; I’ll be back after I talk to her!â€￾ Senna ran to the bathroom. She walked in and all she heard was her sister hysterically crying.
“Cassie, what’s wrong?! Why are you crying? Is it because of the National Team?â€￾
Cassie walked out of the stall with mascara dripping down her face. “Yeah, yeah I’m really happy for you, I just wish I, I could’ve made it too. I trained so hard for this and now it means nu-nu-nothing.â€￾ stuttered Cassie as she tried to calm down her crying.
“Sis, it means a lot, you did train really hard for this! You did it knowing you might not make the team. I’m really sorry for you; I wish I never made it.â€￾
“Senna! Please don’t say that, you well deserved to make the team! I just wish I would’ve trained harder for today. I don’t deserve to be on the team if know I could’ve trained harder. You deserve it way more than me. I’m super happy for you; truly you deserve to WIN Worlds!â€￾
“Awh! Thanks Cass, that means a lot, and you do deserve to be on the team! You’re always really hard on yourself when the reality is you did the best floor routine you ever did! I love you Cassie and always will no matter what happens, but I say we need to get out of this bathroom and leave!â€￾ Senna said while laughing.
Cassie’s expression started to change and her face started lighting up. Cassie agreed and they left the bathroom to go out to their car. Once they got outside they saw all the girls crowded around in a circle. “Hey guys, what’s going on?â€￾ asked Senna. “Alyssa’s here, we just wanted to catch up with her, and sign her cast!â€￾ Hailey replied. Cassie and Senna came around Alyssa and gave her a hug.
` “Cassie I heard the news! I’m so sorry you didn’t make the team, and Senna congrats! Do you guys want to sign my cast?â€￾ Alyssa asked.
“You know we do, I’ve never signed a cast!â€￾ Cassie exclaimed.
“Well then get to it girlies! Hurry up because I need to go back to the hospital to get the results back from the radiologist to see what I tore!â€￾ said Alyssa.
The girls signed the cast and added a little bit of their own flair to their signature. After that the girls waved by to Alyssa as she put her crutches under her arms and went to her car. The girls both yawned as they got into their car. As they were just about ready to change the station they heard “Teenage Dreamâ€￾ come on. They looked at each other, smiled and cranked it up as the screeched the wheels to their Porsche out of the parking lot.
Everyday for two months Cassie worked as hard as Kylie, Maddie, and Senna. Even though she wasn’t on the team she knew she should still train as hard as if she were on the actual team. Kylie, Maddie, and Senna increased their difficulties on each event. They were so excited that Worlds was just two weeks away! It was especially exciting this year because it was in Spain! Maddie was really happy because she could speak fluently in Spanish, “Man am I glad took Spanish in school!â€￾ Maddie said to Kylie and Senna. Today was their last day they had before they left for Spain. They kept working their hardest skills so they would have them perfect for Tuesday.
Even though Cassie wasn’t technically on the National Team, she still was able to come. Kylie, Maddie, Senna, and Cassie had to take a private plane to Texas and then they would take off to Spain. All four of them had to arrive at Sapphire at 4:30 in the morning. They were off to Texas, and they arrived there at 7:00. They met up with the rest of their team and had to hop in the team van to go to the actual international airport. Their flight was at 9:00, they got on and they arrived in Spain at 8:00 p.m. “Noah, this is amazing, it’s gorgeous!â€￾ Shawn said in amazement. They were in a van on the way to their hotel. They got to their hotel, and they all crashed out.
The next morning they had to wake up at 5:00 in the morning to leave and go to the stadium. Cassie wasn’t allowed to practice with them so she stayed and explored the city. She saw the Sagrada Familia, and a lot of other historical buildings. She loved Spain; she thought it was the prettiest city she’d ever seen!!! As she was walking around with Danielle, she got a call.
“Hey what’s up?â€￾ Danielle asked. “What?! Are you kidding? Is she going to be ok? Well tell her I give her my best wishes! We’ll be there in 20 minutes!â€￾ Danielle said.
“Danielle, what happened?!â€￾ Cassie asked.
“Well, Rebecca was doing her beam dismount and she took off and she went up and not out, and she came down on the beam, on her back and it snapped. She could quite possibly be paralyzed! She’s getting life flighted now. They also told me that because of this unlucky incident the number one alternate takes her spot and that would be you!â€￾ Danielle answered.
“Oh my gosh, that’s awful, I can’t believe this! I’m on the team now, but not in the way I would like to be!â€￾ replied Cassie.
“C’mon we have to get you there so you can start training!â€￾ Danielle said as they started running to the car. They got in the car and took off!
They got to the stadium and she ran in and started training. Cassie ran over to Senna and gave her a big hug. Then they got to training. The day ended and they went back to the hotel. Room service delivered dinner and then after that they all went to bed.
It was 6:45 in the morning and they had to leave for the stadium. They arrived and the competition was about ready to start. The US started at bars; everyone for the US did great! Cassie got the highest score and then it was Nastia. In first place was Geing Cho. Vault was next; Cassie had the hardest one out of all the countries there! Cassie did very well, Senna did amazing! Kylie got the best score, she got a 9.785. The US was first for team standing, but Geing Cho still had the lead for All Around.
Beam was next and luckily Senna and Shawn shine on beam! No one could believe what happened next! Senna got a 9.975 and Shawn got a perfect 10.0! After that in first place in All Around was Senna! All Senna needs to do is do good on floor! Cassie stuck three of her passes and had great lines and extensions on everything! Senna did amazing as well, but so did Kylie, Maddie, Shawn, and Nastia. “Congratulations to all of you wonderful gymnasts! You all did fantastic, but of course there can only be one winner in the All Around and that girl is……
By the way I'm sorry its SOOOOOO long!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back