WAG Straddle cast handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
My kid tells me that she is learning her cast handstand with her legs together until a certain stage she calls "butt-up," at which point she straddles the rest of the way up to HS. She says this is not actually a straddle CHS because in a straddle CHS you "straddle right away and then basically do a press handstand." I am confused. Can someone please help a clueless parent understand?

My kid tells me that she is learning her cast handstand with her legs together until a certain stage she calls "butt-up," at which point she straddles the rest of the way up to HS. She says this is not actually a straddle CHS because in a straddle CHS you "straddle right away and then basically do a press handstand." I am confused. Can someone please help a clueless parent understand?
Sounds like she has good coaches

My coach taught us the same way... whenever we would rely on our strength to get us up to handstand, it looks uglier than hitting that upside down L shape then straddling up. I see girls at meets do handstands where they don't get their hips up first, so they end up not hitting handstand. It's so much easier to pike and then straddle.

Sounds like she has good coaches

I sure think so! They have taught her to do things I would never have thought possible, and they make her so happy in the gym that it makes our lives much easier as parents.

My coach taught us the same way... whenever we would rely on our strength to get us up to handstand, it looks uglier than hitting that upside down L shape then straddling up. I see girls at meets do handstands where they don't get their hips up first, so they end up not hitting handstand. It's so much easier to pike and then straddle.

This makes sense. So she is actually learning a straddle cast handstand and is just confused when she says it's not a "real" straddle cast handstand. Sounds like she is on the right track, then!

'Real' straddle cast handstands are much harder to hit handstand in, because your legs only go as high as your hips. Thats why you do the one you described, where the hips go up first and then the legs straddle and follow through. It makes it easier to open your hips and get your shoulders over the bar so you hit the handstand much more consistently.

'Real' straddle cast handstands are much harder to hit handstand in, because your legs only go as high as your hips. Thats why you do the one you described, where the hips go up first and then the legs straddle and follow through. It makes it easier to open your hips and get your shoulders over the bar so you hit the handstand much more consistently.
DD has been struggling with this since last summer. she had it then lost it. Hasn't quite got it back. They stopped practising it consistently during competition season. I think her coach is trying to get her to get her hips up first when she spots her. After reading this I think DD does it the other way when she tries on her own. Maybe it will click one day. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back