WAG Straddle cast in Compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
We have in the past year made the switch to JO and I have seen a vouple times athletes doing straddle up casts in compulory levels 4 and 5- between 45 degrees and handstand.

Judges- should there be deductions if this is done? What would they be? Or is the straddle jump technique allowed?

Judges have not been taking anything for it here. If it is not allowed, where can I find it written?

Not allowed, never seen it. I guess a judge would take the legs apart and any body angle deduction. And I am guessing they would take max deductions.

I was just going to tell you that Puma Jr says it's not allowed, but ^^coachp is a better source! (Glad she knew the answer though lol)

Not allowed, never seen it. I guess a judge would take the legs apart and any body angle deduction. And I am guessing they would take max deductions.

Yeah, I've never seen it either and I watch tons of YouTube and have been to compulsory meets all over the country. Maybe this is limited to a very specific area.

For some reason I want to say there is a specific line item deduction of 3 tenths on this (that would be in addition to any execution deductions and angle deductions received), but let me check the compulsory text. I can't see this being worth it, because that's essentially taking the biggest angle deduction anyway and then you have the bigger possibility of bent legs.

Hmmm, nothing in the compulsory book specifically. I feel like they could take the max angle deduction and also the 2 tenths for "failure to maintain straight body alignment" plus bent arms and legs. I'm mixed on whether they should/could take the angle deduction but it's not really spelled out and the cast was obviously intended to be straight body so it seems like a penalty could be applied for achieving the correct angle or even a handstand with a straddle. There's also a general compulsory deduction for changing an element - they could apply that plus execution. That would be .3. Or they could take the value of the element. I'm kind of surprised this isn't specifically addressed in the compulsory book.

I saw it a girl do it at a level 4 meet recently. She is have an amazing season and scoring really well on bars (and all other events!) I was surprised that she did a straddle handstand because I didn't think it would be allowed. She got a 9.275 which at this meet was very good (really tough judge on bars) and second place. I don't think it helped her score, but I don't think they took too many deductions for it either.

This is not 100% related to the post, but I don't understand why the straddle cast is not allowed in L5. For some gymnasts it takes a long time to build the technique for a straddle cast and un-learn a lot of the things they practiced for the straight body cast so it would be nice if it could be taught earlier to get ready for optionals...obviously a cast to/slightly above horizontal really shouldn't use straddle technique but for L5 it seems appropriate. Especially for pubescent and post-pubescent girls who have more weight in their lower bodies and will find the straddle cast technique much more realistic in terms of leveraging that extra weight.

This is not 100% related to the post, but I don't understand why the straddle cast is not allowed in L5. For some gymnasts it takes a long time to build the technique for a straddle cast and un-learn a lot of the things they practiced for the straight body cast so it would be nice if it could be taught earlier to get ready for optionals...obviously a cast to/slightly above horizontal really shouldn't use straddle technique but for L5 it seems appropriate. Especially for pubescent and post-pubescent girls who have more weight in their lower bodies and will find the straddle cast technique much more realistic in terms of leveraging that extra weight.

I assume because they're not required to go to handstand and straddle cast to slightly above horiz isn't really a technique. Also, straight body cast strength and technique is important for the corresponding clear hip angle. So I think in this case I agree with not allowing the straddle. I could see allowing it for the level 5 high bar cast only.

Yeah, I've never seen it either and I watch tons of YouTube and have been to compulsory meets all over the country. Maybe this is limited to a very specific area.

For some reason I want to say there is a specific line item deduction of 3 tenths on this (that would be in addition to any execution deductions and angle deductions received), but let me check the compulsory text. I can't see this being worth it, because that's essentially taking the biggest angle deduction anyway and then you have the bigger possibility of bent legs.
Well I am in Canada and we just switched to JO last competitive season. So it is new to everyone including judges.
After I saw it a couple times I got curious. I don't know how there would be an angle deduction as the straddle casts go above the required height.
We could not find anything in the manual specifically adressing it. Other than having straight alignment at the end of the cast.
So if they straddle casted and brought their feet together nothing was being taken.
Might have to get a judge here to send in an inquiry into one of the States judges we have partnered with.

I'm in Ontario and have never seen a straddle cast in level 4 and my kid repeated level 4 last year so I've seen A LOT of bar routines.

Well I am in Canada and we just switched to JO last competitive season. So it is new to everyone including judges.
After I saw it a couple times I got curious. I don't know how there would be an angle deduction as the straddle casts go above the required height.
We could not find anything in the manual specifically adressing it. Other than having straight alignment at the end of the cast.
So if they straddle casted and brought their feet together nothing was being taken.
Might have to get a judge here to send in an inquiry into one of the States judges we have partnered with.
It's not allowed, compulsory casts are all straight body :)

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back