WAG Straddle casts, and kips vs. pike casts, pike kip.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Is there an advantage to kipping, and casting with the legs together, vs. straddle?
It look pretty to straddle cast HS, but is it harder to pike HS?
What is more desirable?

I know straddle kips are supposed to be easier (DDs gym won't allow those) and I assume straddle cast-handstand is easier since DD is doing those and she is NOT a bar wiz, lol! She cannot do regular cast-handstand. :)

Our gym requires straight leg kip, but trains straddle cast HS. If a girl is strong/a natural with straight body cast they are allowed to do them.

At our gym it seems to depend on height. My DD isn't very tall, so she's piking both. Some taller girls are doing straddle.

Is there an advantage to kipping, and casting with the legs together, vs. straddle?
It look pretty to straddle cast HS, but is it harder to pike HS?
What is more desirable?

Do you mean...
  • Casting
    • Straddle vs. Straight
  • Gliding
    • Straddle vs. Together
-OR-

Are we talking about the difference in style between a straddle cast that stays straight and one that hits a hard pike?

Here in England, if I remember correctly, the straddle cast to handstand is an A value skill while the piked cast to handstand is a B value skill meaning it's harder.

Do you mean...
  • Casting
    • Straddle vs. Straight
  • Gliding
    • Straddle vs. Together
-OR-

Are we talking about the difference in style between a straddle cast that stays straight and one that hits a hard pike?

I thought they were talking about straight body verses straddle....that's the impression I got anyway

I teach the legs together version for both kip and casting. The straddle versions are easier, so the aim is to go for the ultimate skill and then if for some reason it isn't going to work go for the easier and not the other way around.

As a general rule the straddle versions are often more achievable for a taller girl, so exceptions are made if the gymnast is tall.

In the FIG international code of points, which we use in Australia. A straddle cast has a lower value.

In our gym most of the girls straddle to handstand. The taller girls or the girls with really long legs straddle on the glide portion of the kip as well.

I prefer my girls to do piked glides, simply because it makes it easier for me to spot from a block without it getting in the way.

As for doing casts straddled vs legs together, that's a bit more complicated. Straight body casts are easier with regards to technique, but harder with regards to strength. Straight body casts also have some minor advantages when it comes to training pirouettes.

I used to make my girls do all their casts with legs together, but I've backed off on that over the past couple of years. The advantages are pretty minor, and it's very difficult for girls to develop the level of strength required to do multiple straight body cast handstands in a routine. Straddled casts are, in most cases, the easier option.

Ok, just wondering......my gimme is small and seems to enjoy her legs together for everything. She tried to do straddle cast HS and it was, well, let's just say, not pretty.

I'm sure as she gets bigger she may move to the straddles.....who knows......thanks though. I wanted to know the technical aspect and difficulty for each.

We work legs apart and together on both.

This thread is a bit confusing to me though...we do not work legs together pike cast HS unless it is to help create the straddle cast movement.

Straddle casts are easier, there's more room for incorrect technique as well (though not much). Some gymnasts may be able to straight body cast to a handstand, but they arch their backs terribly and that results in more deductions. If good form and a hollow body are possible, then by all means go for it.

In JO straddle and straight body casts are worth the same thing. In elite they are not, straight body casts are worth more.

Piked glide swings require more abdominal and hip strength, but are better for gymnasts with hip problems.
Personally, when I do kip casts my first glide is usually a straddle to generate more speed, but after my first handstand or skill I do all piked glides.

We worked both types of casts at my gym (unless you're weak and old like me, I only did straddle) and the coaches didn't care about our glides as long as we had straight legs, pointed toes, and didn't kick the mats if a coach was spotting.

What is more desirable? It depends on coach personal preference. If at all possible coaches usually strive for straight body casts because they show more strength and less likely that legs will bend and toes will flex.

I teach straight, then all my kids compete the straddle. :) It just scores higher.

I overheard a mom just last week talking about this.
We do the straddle glide for kip - because apparently if the feet/legs aren't together in pike, there will be deductions. It's thought that doing the straddle kind of forces the legs together at the end of the glide.

We have a girl who is much better on the pike glide, and the mom pushed the coach to see it, and she really is, so she will be competing pike.

Pea and her teammates glide in a pike in their kip, but straddle cast to handstand. Not sure which is easier or better, I can see from the responses there is a lot of variation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back