Straight arm kips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a group of new level 5s and they all have their kips but they are all doing ugly muscle up bent arm kips. I do have drills that I do with them but I am posting to hopefully get some more tips or drills on how to perfect their kips!

Thanks

We have some of those stretchy bands, either thera bands or the round cord ones, and we grab the bottom and with straight arms pull down towards our hips, like the last part of a kip.

The fact that they are muscling the kip means they are probably kipping early. If they were merely bending their arms but waiting on the kip then they are just not strong enough or don't understand the lockout of the arms.

I think most of them are kipping early, i found some good drills on youtube and they seemed to make a difference yesterday I now have 3 of them using straight arms!

Thanks

without a long mechanical explanation, have them use their wrist pads to push and shift the hands. often, they will try to use their thumbs to pull. this pronates the elbow when the wrist locks.

tell them to put their thumbs alongside their index finger when they glide and when they shift.

this will, more often than not, clear up those dreaded arm bend problems.

In my experience, the bent arms happen when the gymnast kips too late as the result of extension of a glide which is not proportionate with the abdominal/hip flexor/shoulder strength of the athlete.

While younger athletes may be perfoming "optimal" glides, a full extension in the glide means difficulty in lifting the feet to the bar. The glide tends to have a forward/backward motion instead of a rounded circling swing upward upon completion. If the athlete is not strong enough to lift the legs out of a fully extended glide, the leg lift occurs too late, the kip happens on the back swing of the glide, and the shoulders swing back horizontally behind the bar so far that bending the arms is the only way to "save the kip". The arm bend is not simply a form break, it is a mechanism to correct for a lack of circular momentum as the kip finishes.

While extension on the glide is important, I have found that a rounded body shape and an early lift of the feet is critical for beginner athletes. I tell the girls to stretch and lift their feet toward the high bar instead of out or down. The leg lift is part of the glide, not something that happens when the glide is finished.

I also have kids do millions of straight arm "jump uprises" from a block. The block is slightly under the bar opposite where the gymnast will finish in a support. This creates the circling motion which should occur at the end of the kip.

This has always worked for me with younger kids. Of course, the kip has to develop and change over time...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back