WAG Straight arm kips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

roll123

Proud Parent
DD finally got her kips! She has been doing them pretty consistently the last 2 weeks, just in time for competition later this month!
My question is about her arms. They are bent, she doesn't shimmy on her belly to get up like I've seen some girls do, but there is a bend in her arms. Is this a strength issue or just polishing it since she is new to the kip.

It could be she's too busy with everything else to keep her arms straight, or she just needs to have more time with the complete and connected motion to be able to refine the rhythm and timing of the skill.

As for strength, sure a kid needs a bit of strength but Godzilla would likely have a harder time learning a kip than poor little Suzie, who I wish would start kipping at least in my lifetime.

Strength, timing, polish, knowing what straight arms should feel like, experience... All of which varies kid to kid.

Great info., thanks! I have to admit I'm so glad she finally got them that I'm afraid if she starts tweaking them she will lose them again.

When kids get their kip for the first time, I have them do kips unassisted for a portion of the bar workout, then I spot them so that they can get straight arm kips. To a kid, learning a kip and a straight arm kip are almost like learning 2 separate skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back