WAG Strap Bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter started basic swinging at level 2, but now that she's in level 3, she's been working on giants with coach.

Different for every kid, but between old level 4 and new level 4.

I admit up front that I know very little about gymnastics. I am just a parent. However, my DD did very little strap work and has just gotten her giant. Drills, body shaping, observation, and a little spotting...

Me and my level 4 (Australian) team do kips on the strap bar but not many of them have the strength to get their feet to the bar let alone do a kip

Usually level 3 (which is equivalent to the new level 2 in the US).

Maybe I'm full of it, but it doesn't really seem safe to do strap bar work L2 / L3 kids that don't even have a kip yet. Seems like the may not have the shoulder strength to support that activity yet. My DD started straps in Old L4/5 and had her giants for L7.

Our girls started competing with old L5 and used the strap bar to work on kips. Toward the end of old L5, they started working on giants and free hips.

The L5 boys who have good kips are working on front and back giants in straps. My son would dearly love to do some kind of toe on or an endo, but he is nowhere close yet, which is a great source of amusement for the coaches and optional guys.

DD started this past season as a new 4 while working her kip. her coach explained she just needed time and repetition to get it down pat. She got to know that strap bar quite well (LOL!) but it did the trick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back