Parents Stress at growth plate - Is rest the only option?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm laughing at this now b/c my gymnast just got cleared to resume regular practice and now I'm nervous about that. If I trusted the docs that she needed to rest, I should trust that it's safe to practice again. I really should learn to turn off my worry switch. :p

Glad to hear she's cleared! Just be sure to nag her after practice about whether it's hurting, and if it starts hurting again, encourage her to dial back a bit. It's less likely to start hurting if she takes a little time to ramp back up to full workouts rather than going from 0-60 in one day. Good luck, and may you never again darken your orthopedist's door with this issue!

I'm laughing at this now b/c my gymnast just got cleared to resume regular practice and now I'm nervous about that. If I trusted the docs that she needed to rest, I should trust that it's safe to practice again. I really should learn to turn off my worry switch. :p

When you figure out how to turn off that switch, let us all know.

I am with you. I never know what to believe. D has inflammation at a growth plate in his back. Ortho said rest, but let pain be his guide. He can work out and just listen to his body. Sigh. So should he rest or work out? LOL

I am with you. I never know what to believe. D has inflammation at a growth plate in his back. Ortho said rest, but let pain be his guide. He can work out and just listen to his body. Sigh. So should he rest or work out? LOL

Ortho did say she should take it easy and speak up if anything hurts. I wish we knew the difference between benign discomfort and pain that means a trip to the ortho is needed.

Kipper had a strain in her wrist/thumb area that "may" have been at the growth plate. Ortho wasn't totally sure if there was a fracture, but said he would prescribe rest anyway. It happened the day after she did her first bar routine with giants. EGADS!!!! She was off for 2 1/2 weeks and missed the first meet, which stunk. However, we're over it now, and I'm glad she rested it. AND... most importantly...her giants and beam tumbling came back very quickly. Also, another vote for tiger paws! Ortho was glad to hear she uses them. No concern about making her wrists weaker.

Only option is to rest it. You think it's heartbreaking when the doc says she has to rest it and not train tumbling? Be thankful that he didn't say retirement.

Injuries are disappointing, regardless of the severity. As you can see up above, we didrest it and the restrictions have been lifted.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back