Parents Stretches to help with back bridge?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momnipotent

Proud Parent
Judge
ODS is having problems with his back bridge and the coach has given him "homework" to work on it at home. The repeated home practice is not helping and he is getting frustrated. I am starting to wonder if it is a shoulder/back flexibility problem. When he pushes up into the bridge, he can't get his arms by his ears and can not straighten them, so he winds up with his arms pretty far in front of his head and bent (I can post a picture later, but hopefully this explains it semi-well enough to describe what he is doing) and then doesn't hold it very long because he says his wrists hurt. Any ideas?

Sounds like shoulder flexibility rather than a back issue. Might sound silly, but if he's committed to gymnastics and this is causing him issues, it would likely be good to work with a PT or some type of trainer to improve that shoulder flexibility now as it can/will have impacts -- like wrist pain and potentially lower back pain. Better to address it now than struggle and suffer later.

Sounds like shoulder flexibility rather than a back issue. Might sound silly, but if he's committed to gymnastics and this is causing him issues, it would likely be good to work with a PT or some type of trainer to improve that shoulder flexibility now as it can/will have impacts -- like wrist pain and potentially lower back pain. Better to address it now than struggle and suffer later.

I agree, this can lead to back problems in the future.
Read this article. It describes the back problems due to lack of hips and shoulders flexibility, and if you scroll down, there are some good exercises for improving the shoulders flexibility:

http://www.hybridperspective.com/20...ossible-injury-prevention-for-the-lower-back/

This sounds similar to my DD. She has tightness in her shoulders and a bit in her upper back, but we also figured out that she has tightness in her pecs. Seriously, a 6 year old with tight pecs. The site @IreneKa posted has a lot of great stretches, and a lot of great information as to where the restrictions could be based on the shapes their bodies make in a bridge.

Thanks so much for the input so far everyone-attaching a picture to this post to see if it helps anyone-please ignore the ridiculously messy playroom background.

15b260b1dfc4f3a9cd50d5745bb39080.jpg

I'm not an expert, but comparing to the pictures in the article, I would say he has issues with both, shoulders and hips flexibility:
restricted-shoulder-flexion-bridge.jpg

Please, have him stretch at home. The back problems are not fun, speaking from the personal experience. :(

I agree, I think just doing regular stretching at home will help a lot! D has to do that now to keep up his flexibility.

That being said, we have boys on our team that, no matter what they do, are just not flexible, nor will they ever be. Now that they are optionals, they can play up to what they are good at, and not worry as much abotu the other stuff. They stretch a lot, and always have, but have never gotten it (one is genetic...his sister is the same way!) They compensate in other ways, and the boy is now a level 9 gymnast.

So, I would just say to encourage as much stretching as you can. D likes to do it watching tv or playing video games.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back