WAG Stretching at home- any ideas for the little ones?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Faith

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
DD2 is 5, and recently we had to switch clubs when older DD left gymnastics for a different sport as I couldn't physically get them to two places.

Anyway. DD is only there once a week. HC has told her she needs to work on her splits at home. So tonight we gave it a try, but she's 5, and all we could do really is try and hold splits for as long as she could each leg. She's quite a long way off.

Any ideas for some stretches? It's not really possible to do the stretches I'd do with more naturally flexible or older children, we need to work on straight legs and square hips, and she just rolls around giggling as soon as I touch her :D.

She's not obviously naturally flexible, but DD1 and I have that sort of ligament that will stretch easily with a bit of work, so I think we should get some results if I can find the correct exercises :)

Both of my dd's were practicing their splits as part of conditioning homework and as they can't do splits to the ground I placed cushions under their bum so they could do the splits over them, they had different amount of cushions depending on how long they could get, they held the splits for at least 1 minuet, as the days went on I took away a cushion. My eldest dd told me she got her right splits to the ground at gym last night ( she is my most unflexible gymnast and was quite a way from the floor before she started her exercises), my youngest dd is more flexible and has her left splits near enough down and is much closer on her right and the box splits. What has also helped is I get them to hold their widest straddle sit and then twist round into each splits, that is also helping, we are going to keep doing this at home until they hsve their splits.

I have two thoughts:

(1) when DD was learning her splits she did pre-split stretches before ever attempting them. They looked like lunges close to the ground. She learnt them in gym.

(2) a coach mentioned to me that the mistake most people make is holding them too long. Hold for 10 seconds max then release. Then hold for another 10 seconds and so on. Massaging the area afterwards also helps.

I have two thoughts:

(1) when DD was learning her splits she did pre-split stretches before ever attempting them. They looked like lunges close to the ground. She learnt them in gym.

(2) a coach mentioned to me that the mistake most people make is holding them too long. Hold for 10 seconds max then release. Then hold for another 10 seconds and so on. Massaging the area afterwards also helps.

Agree with the first point about doing pre-split stretching. I'd also advise doing some aerobic exercise before hand to warm up her muscles.

I'm afraid I disagree with the second point though. Research has shown that when you stretch, for the first 10 seconds your muscle actual contracts as a natural protective mechanism so the first ten seconds are ineffective. I would therefore advise stretching for at least 20-40 seconds.

Good luck - hope she gets her splits soon :)

Be aware that even at 5 there is a chance she can pull a muscle if it is not practiced properly. This is especially true if she is not a naturally flexible person. At this age they often don't know when to stop. They often can't tell the difference between good stretching pain and bad injured pain.

Make sure she always does a warm Up before stretching. A few minutes of jumping on the trampoline, jumping jacks, running on the spot etc. then do a full general loosening stretch first. Then do some pre splits stretches before going into splits. If you are not sure what any of these are, ask the coach to show you. If she has asked your DD to stretch at home she should be more than willing to help.

I always need to stop and summarize before answering to a "stretching thread" so I don't go off and write novels. ;)

I agree with most of the replies and disagree with some. The following is only partly scientificly proofed and just what I learned.
When stretching we don't really want to "lengthen" the muscle on a long term (that would be quite akward) but improve its ability to give in to pressure, by temporarily pulling it and giving it an "impuls".
As SXS524 mentioned the muscle automatically creates tension to prevent possible damage.
The goal basically is to carefullly get the muscle to a point where it relaxes and kind of accepts the position as unharmful.
Therefor there is NO use in PUSHING a kid. It will for the moment get the split down but there is no long term effect. (plus pain and possible injuries in the muscles which will take stretching off the schedule for several weeks)
The muscle indeed needs at least 10 seconds in a stretching position to relax.
The key to a relaxed muscle is enough blood supply (which is why warm ups are so crucial) and a gentle approach.
And this is where I disagree with the "as long as possible" theory. A stretching position obviously is a position which your body isn't used to and if you spend several minutes "pushing boundaries" it is quite possible you'll cut off blood supply at some point. I prefer several repetitions over a long hold.

I furthermore have to add that I'm VERY skeptic at static stretching at the tender age of 5. It is proofed that natural flexibility decreases with age because muscles tighten up with time, but this also means the muscles of a 5 year old are a lot more prone to get injured because they can't protect themselves as well.
If your DD as a naturally not flexible girl HAS to get her splits down I would try to work more active dynamic flexibility where there is no or less passive pressure is involved.

Sorry, it's a novel. :confused: I knew it.

I agree. Doing splits with must 4 and 5 year olds is hard because they don't have enough stability in their leg muscles to even get into the right position and stretch from there. This also requires mental and physical maturity. I recommend you work on standing pike stretches and sitting in a straddle and reaching forward as these are more appropriate.

Once she's warmed up, you could also have her lay on her back and hold her leg up straight, and then you very gently lift it to the furthest split position holding it straight. do NOT push, just hold her leg straight and slightly turned out to work on the correct alignment. She should try to hold her muscles tight. You could have her perform the stretch on you first so she can feel what a tight leg feels like.

When my dd was on pre-team, her coaches gave a date (about 6 weeks out) that they wanted all the girls to try to have their splits. Dd really wanted to have her splits so she could earn the "prize", so we did a sticker chart, and she practiced her pike and straddle pancake stretch, and all 3 of her splits, 60 seconds each, every night before bed. I didn't push her down, just let her start high, and every 15-20 seconds, she'd try to ease down a little further. By the end of 6 weeks, she basically had all 3 splits. Not always perfectly square, but 100% better than she'd had before. I'd imagine any daily stretching would help, even if it isn't "splits".

Thanks all! Some really useful ideas :)

I'll have her do warm up stretches first, and pancake/pike fold. I love the cushion idea TD, so they can relax into the stretch. Gymdog I did try that lying down stretch, but will try again and focus on straight leg/square hips, even if she isn't even past 90 deg.

To be honest I'm not overly bothered about it, but she's that kind of kid who likes to please her coach, so she's mentioned it several times. As a coach and a gymnast I love PNF stretching, I found it very effective for me and DD1, but we were both much older when we started team (about 7/8) when the physical maturity to follow instructions is better. But if she's going to put the effort in now, I'd like to help her do it effectively as possible so she gets the practice=results correlation :).

Oh and thanks for correcting the piece of mis- information I'd picked up only days earlier from a UK coach (not at my gym btw). It is useful to my DD as she still needs to work on her "bad" leg (a few inches off) and her over splits.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back