Parents Strict Competition rules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
I'm just wondering if anyone has been to a meet where the kids can not leave the competition floor without permission (even to use the bathroom) and no one but the designated coaches and competing gymnasts are allowed in the competition area.

The penalty is everyone on the team take a deduction.

Mind you - not thinking it's a bad thing . . . keeps parents away from the younger ones and keeps the older ones from moving around

:cool:

Just curious.

That is the rule in every USAG sanctioned competition. The athletes must stay on the floor, unless they are in the restroom. Parents are necer allowed on the competition floor. If this rule is voilated its a team score deduction.

interesting . . . at the past USAIGC competitions there would be girls from the team, not competing, with the group . . . girls wonder out to talk to friends and family . . . again, not seeing it as a bad thing.

Was wondering if it was a gym thing or because it's states . . .

That certainly is the rule for USAG meets----parents in the stands and kids/coaches on the floor. Yes, kids can walk out to use the bathroom, but thats about it. I remember all this being preached to my gymmie and her teammates several times before their 1st L5 meet.

Yes, totally normal. We were even told about it in our booster club parent handbook, reminding us as well that if our daughter were to be injured, we were NOT to go out on the floor for the same reason.

I for one LIKE the rule!

I haven't heard of any team deductions yet, but I certainly have seen many-a-parent think they have some special right to video tape their DD from the coaches position. And they are strangely upset when they are politely asked to get thier butt back into the stands - and stay there.

I have yet to see a competition program without spectator rule clearly stated. This and flash photography drives me nuts.

Yeah, this is totally normal. It is also an FIG rule which should be adhered to at all levels of competition in every country.

Most of the meets I have been to have definitely not let the parents in the competition area but I always see the gymnasts walking in and out of the main gym and/or walking into the stands after they are finished with the meet but before the meet is actually over - ie: there still are other teams competing.

Our coach does not even like parents trying to get kids attention to say hi. Talking to them is a no-no! And no one would even dare try to get on the floor! I was on the floor assisting the coach this year (I have a professional membership and will be testing for judging this summer), but the coach told my daughter I was there as her assistant, and not to think of me as her mom while she was competing!

Any meet I've been to in three years, the girls all stay on the floor with the group until they are ready to go to the awards area (if in a seperate area). They sit together during awards, with their team, and when the complete awards are done, they are free to leave. I really dislike when girls leave after their awards group is done and do not stay for the entire session awards! I have only experienced that one, at the Sand Dollar Meet and was suprised that other gym did this. It's not allowed where we are from. It's one thing if one girls has to leave, but whole teams were leaving . . .

This is the rule at all our australian competitions too. Kids can't leave the floor for any reason, they must get permission from the head judge if they need to go to the bathroom. It is also not allowed to communicate with any member of the audience and no member of the audience is permitted to communcate with any competitor.

It is a good rule i have been to competitions for similar sports where the rule hasn;t exsisited and those comps are chaos. Kids walking back and forth constantly, heading into the audience to have a snack every 5 minutes, kids not being where they are supposed to be when called to compete. Total chaos.

This is dd's team as well. We do have 1 girl though that always gets up and leaves after her age group is done, but the rest of them all stay and support each other. I think what the one girl does is so rude!!!!

Our coach does not even like parents trying to get kids attention to say hi. Talking to them is a no-no! And no one would even dare try to get on the floor!

Any meet I've been to in three years, the girls all stay on the floor with the group until they are ready to go to the awards area (if in a seperate area). They sit together during awards, with their team, and when the complete awards are done, they are free to leave. I really dislike when girls leave after their awards group is done and do not stay for the entire session awards! I have only experienced that one, at the Sand Dollar Meet and was suprised that other gym did this. It's not allowed where we are from. It's one thing if one girls has to leave, but whole teams were leaving . . .

well, this rule was a load of *&^% there were girls everywhere and there were more then just the coaches on the floor.

So much for the strict rules! LOL

Add me to the --never been to a meet where that wasn't the rule--list. I know some meets are lax on letting non-competing gymnasts sit with their team, but no meet allows parents, etc. onto the competition floor. I had to tell SO many people at teh State meet they weren't allowed on the competition floor--yes, even just to give your DD something. I know we were told we could get a sanction violation if it happened (as the club hosting), but I've never heard of the competing gyms getting any deductions for it.

People who use flash photography make me want to rip their camera out of their hands LOL!

Oh I hate that too--so very disrespectful to the other gymnasts there!

Count Ontario in the theses are the rules club. We are not allowed to communicate with athletes from the stands either. I"ve been told a violation of these rules, (leaving the competiution floor without permission from the judge) can result in disqualification here.

It would just not make sense to have parents back and forth on the floor ecspecailly when the girls are real young. I would think most gyms would explain these rules before you go to a meet. It has never happened to me but I quess it would be hard to see your child get injured and not rush out to them. I also agree with the flash photography I saw a girl at one of our meets fall off the beam and get injured due to a flash, yet it seems like there is always one person who tries to get away with it.

Our coach does not even like parents trying to get kids attention to say hi. Talking to them is a no-no! And no one would even dare try to get on the floor! I was on the floor assisting the coach this year (I have a professional membership and will be testing for judging this summer), but the coach told my daughter I was there as her assistant, and not to think of me as her mom while she was competing!

This is how it is at our gym as well. Under no circumstance is any girl allowed to leave until the entire awards session is over. I find it to be very rude when people stand up and walk out in the middle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back