WAG Struggling with L7&8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jessicagym

Gymnast
Hi! My name is Jessica, I have competed in L6 three times and L7 once. I have mostly been held back by the uneven bars. I just can't seem to figure out the timing and other aspects of circling and kip cast handstand elements. I am really hoping to compete in L8 this coming season.

Do any gymnasts or coaches have tips on the cast to handstands?? I have been able to do some and get the hang of it but then it just seems to slip away and not work again. I am also able to do clear hip to above horizontal but struggle with the timing and getting up to handstand. I think I am a little afraid but also just need some new tips than what my coaches have been telling me.

I also used to have my giants and I could not consistently make it over no matter how hard I tapped at the bottom. I don't know if it's the shifting or what. Then I all of a sudden accidentally closed in my armpits while attempting a giant and actually ended up doing a 3/4 giant. It really spooked me. The thing that really scares me is that I knew not to close my shoulders, but I did it anyway. I just wonder if I did it involuntarily last time, what prevents it from happening again? Plus I feel the pressure of doing this skill so I can compete for level eight (I think this is my last year of gymnastics.) Does anybody have advice or words of encouragement?

I'm just a parent but....
It seems to me that working press handstands helps a lot with cast handstands, getting used to your shoulders over your hand as you go up to the handstand helps on bars. The girls that do better at presses seemed to get and keep thier kip cast handstands better. Even if you cant do presses on your own I think working them against a wall to work that shaping through the handstand could help.

For the free hip its really just like an extension roll but on the bar. Try thinking about how you do a back extension roll to handstand on the floor. Think about when you go to open up in the backroll to hit that handstand that is the type of timing you want in your free hip. The girls at our gym will do drills with one of the floor bars with like octagons on the side where they have thier grips on holding the bar and they do the back extension roll to handstand with the bar on the floor just getting used to that feeling.

Good luck you got this!

L9 Gymnast here.

For the cast handstand MuggleMom's advice is key. When I first joined optionals as the new girl I and only one other girl had our cast handstand... we both had press handstands, only one other girl did have a press without a cast handstand. It helps you understand the feeling of pressing with your shoulders open, leaning over. It also helps with understanding of where your legs should be in the straddle.

And the clear hip just takes understanding of the motion! Most people close their hips and pull their toes over the bar in the clear hip and then push out to get height. Instead, to get to handstand, you need to pull your hips away from the bar, scooping under, and shoot your toes up. This is why you see many coaches spotting the clear hip to handstand by bringing the gymnast's hips away from the bar in candle position, and pulling the gymnast up to handstand. If you have enough power and you do those two things you should ideally shoot right up to handstand. So, essentially, pull your toes up towards the sky instead of over the bar.

And giants are super tricky to be honest, I can't really give you advice not being able to see your giants, but good luck on them!

If you don’t have a press handstand - you don’t -need- one. My daughter can fling herself into a press here or there, definetly not controlled, def not back down, and def not consistently - but she can hit handstand on bars every single time, time after time, for a solid hour if she needs to. Her friend has the most beautiful press handstand on floor and beam, great control, just so pretty, can hold for ages, but can’t hit a handstand on bars.

I’m sorry I have no advice on the actual skills though, I asked my daughter how she does the clear hip to handstand or the actual handstand and her answer is “I dunno, just throw yourself”, which is so useful

If you don’t have a press handstand - you don’t -need- one.
You're right and I didnt mean to imply you had to have a press but I think its good for getting that shape and getting used to getting your shoulders over your hands which can help for bars. Also it is something easy you can work on at home without any equipment, even if its just standing on the ground and pressing up to handstand against a wall. One thing I notice with girls that can't do a cast handstand is they never get their shoulders over the bar and presses really make you work that shape if you are having trouble with it. One of the drills our gym does is the girls cast and put their feet on the bar then jump straddle up to handstand. That is similar to doing a press against a wall even if you are doing a little jump to get your start on the press. Its just the repetition of that motion that helps I think.

If you don’t have a press handstand - you don’t -need- one.
You're right and I didnt mean to imply you had to have a press but I think its good for getting that shape and getting used to getting your shoulders over your hands which can help for bars.
Right- a press handstand is not a need, but what MuggleMom said is correct. It can really help you learn the motion and "get the feel for it" as girls say, "It" being having your shoulders over the bar while pressing. It also really helps with getting down the straddle-lift up-snap part

So no, not necessary, but definitely a great pre-req!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back