students ratio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, that is a concern as well. What is appropriate for a pre elite 6 year old is quite different to what is appropriate for a young teenager.

They need different coaching styles, they need different methods of motivation, they needs different types of strength and flexibility training. Even the way they work and run their classes needs to be different. Not to mention different bar settings.

Also do you want your DD exposed to kids of this age so many hours a week. If they are level 6 I am guessing they will spend around 16-18 hours together a week. While your daughter may play with barbies they are talking about boys and other things. Also dealing with the daily young teen attitude. It takes away your daughters chance to make real special friendships at the gym. Friendships when you grow up doing gymnastics together are like no other experiences, and an important part of the whole gymnastics experience.

Is it possible that the coach is suggesting this because your DD is too young for IDP3. Is IDP2 already too easy for her does she have her round off flic, front tuck on floor, kip, cast to handstand, press on beam etc. Or would she have been the only IDP 2 gymnast if they did her in IDP2 and they couldn't justify attending competitions or holding the training. It can be hard but a gym can't always justify doing something for 1 or 2 kids. often when they do this it runs at a terrible financial loss.

If this is the case I would suggest you take her for evaluation at your local HPC, what state are you in?

She has all of her idp 2 skills apart from the kip. Which she gets sometimes but it isn't consistant, however she has started learning giants. on beam she has her cartwheel that she can do on high beam, tick toc and back walk over on low beam and has started to learn flics on the beam but she does that on the floor on one of the lines. She has her round off flic and front tuck on floor and on tramp she is doing round off flick back sault, learning front layouts which she does on tramp.

I forgot to mention that I do agree with the whole friendship part. that is why it is important that we find something that is 1 kids her age and 2 challenging enough for her. She loves challenge and if a coach says they are going to challenge her she steps up. She has been accepted into a hpc program.

With a 6 year old with the skills that your child has, HPC is the way to go.

Well the good thing is there is another child the same standard as her and the same age, so hopefully they will become friends even though they will compete against each other.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back