WAG Successful gym switch thank u chalkbucket family

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys, I can confirm. The advice on here is true! If you are even considering a gym change, you should have done it much sooner!

My only regret is not leaving sooner, dragging it out only prolonged the inevitable.

Update: DD is so excited about gymnastics, she isn't crying anymore. And the longer we are here the more confident she becomes. Slowly, slowly the emotions have lifted.

DD had some great accomplishments with gym A, and they taught her a lot of great skills, however, it was at a huge price. Her self confidence and self-esteem were destroyed. Even with the accomplishments she felt she wasn't any good. Unfortunately, I allowed this to carry on far too long because of these accomplishments. Although the manipulating methods of coaching were unacceptable, I realize I allowed this because I felt loyal and obligated to the coaches because of what I had imagined they had done for my daughter. I should have been loyal to my daughter first!

Therefore, I put this out there to parents, please learn from my mistakes. If your child is crying about gymnastics, if they start asking you to be at practice everyday, start paying attention. DD tells me now, she got yelled at more when I wasn't there, so she felt protected if I was in the building. I should have had the guts to rescue her sooner, and it is a regret I will always live with. How many days can you sit and watch 5,6,7 girls sobbing in the gym, girls being then "sent" to time-out from crying, before you wake up. I thought all gyms were like this, and thought it was normal. I'm an intelligent person, but in this I was ignorant and naive. I realize now why upon leaving, the coaches told me I had no business asking my daughter how her day at the gym was....I have three children, and I will always ask my children about their day, that's family.

Today, at Gym B, she is thriving. She hears, "I'm proud of you!" "You're really working had" "you can do this" from her coaches. Professionalism just continues to blow my mind. The coaches have never once told me I shouldn't ask her how about her day. She has NEVER once come home and said she was yelled at. NEVER have they kept her on a skill to the point of tears, NEVER has she been scolded for icing after an injury, NEVER has she been given the silent treatment because she didn't get something just right or had an oopsie at a meet.

And guess what. They have allowed her to fail. And hugged her when she did. In fact, praised her for going big and risking the fall. Which is removing the fear of failure.

And, she is beginning to trust the coaches. Beginning to see, that they are not to be feared, but are here to help guide her journey. DD isn't perfect, and they don't expect her to be. Here she is a small fish in a big pond, and I also believe that has helped her to let go of the pressure. The best part, no more crying, and DD is non-stop loving gymnastics the sport again, you can see that twinkle in her eyes when she's talking about it, or when she comes running out of the gym to tell me something, her excitement and energy is just so positive. Of course, she is building upon her skills, repairing bad habits, and learning so many new things as well, but it's all happening in an emotionally safe environment.

And, I am eternally grateful for the positive in her life. I can tell her how proud I am, but it isn't the same. Coaches, you do matter, you do make a difference, you might have just saved this little girl.

And to the chalkbucket community, I couldn't have had the courage to do what needed to be done without your stories and support and encouragement. Thank u for reminding me that I wasn't a lunatic crazy gym mom, and helping me to stay focused and think about what DD needed, and I am so appreciative. Thank you!

I just went and read your original thread asking for that advice.
I wasn't a part of it, as I have no real knowledge of anything of that nature, but I do recall reading it back then, and my heart hurt for you.

That said, I'm so very glad you updated, and very happy for you and your daughter that you made the switch!!!!

I am so glad for you and your DD gympeeps!!!
The realization that good gymnastics and huge success does NOT have to come with an expensive price tag is truly a rewarding moment.....You and especially your DD must feel a HUGE weight has been lifted off of you......now you can see the methods poor coaches must resort to to squeeze performance out of children.
A good teacher can get optimal performace with all the good stuff......An experienced coach knows just what to say, when to say it, OR when NOT to say anything.......They know when to joke, and when to be firm.....they know how to praise, and how to get mad......they NEVER steal self esteem away......They NEVER coach for their ego....they respect, and are respected.

I am SOOOOOOOO Happy for you!!!!!!

I went back to read the old post.......i should correct 'poor coaches' to say coaches with not the right type of coaching for your child.
I hate to blanket a group when most are great for the average gymnasts.......your DD is going L10 at 10, which is a different level of coaching....
I hope you have found it, but more important, MAY YOUR DD BE HAPPY!

Munchkin3,
You are absolutely right, and Hopefully, they have learned and grown from this experience as well. DD just turned 10, and I'm confident will not be a L10....they are not pushing her to go so fast, which Is a relief for all of us.
Plus, after being out with broken foot for 6 weeks, she was happy to get back in shape in time for her last season of TOPS and frankly, im glad for her not to have that pressure. Just because she is working big skills, doesn't mean she has to compete them right way. A lot more spotting and drills, and I can see that she is much more relaxed about the upcoming season.

Thanks for this wonderful update! How great for her to be happy and enthusiastic again! I wish you and her all the best for a happy, healthy, fun competitive season. Keep us posted!

My only regret is not leaving sooner, dragging it out only prolonged the inevitable.
First of all congrats!!! It sounds like you made a great decision and I'm so happy your DD is doing so well! We're coming up on 4 months post gym change, and (if you want any advice!) I would say to fight the "I should have yanked her sooner" demons. It is very hard. I'm still battling it. But it is what it is and its part of their stories! Like you said, I appreciate the accomplishments Puma Jr had at her old gym, and I try to focus on that when I go down the "she'd be so much further only if..." path. You took your time, gathered information, listened to your gut and made the right call in a tough situation. Good for you guys! I love success stories. Thanks for updating us :)

We moved over the summer too and wish we had gone sooner. The difference in environment from negative to positive has made a huge difference in my daughter, not only in gymnastics, but in life in general.

Such a great update. Thanks so much for sharing. I am so happy for you and your DD. We also did a successful gym switch almost 2 years ago and have not looked back. Such a difference professional, caring coaching can make.

Wow! Your daughter's journey sounds almost identical to my daughter's! I love when you said "I'm normal and intelligent, yet followed their advice and didn't question it" scarily similar to how our old gym was. I used to be like "am I the only one not drinking the kookaid here?"

I'm so glad to hear of your daughter's successful journey. It makes such a difference when they are happy and healthy. Abuse like you described should not be happening in this day and in this country. It's a shame that it still happens, and all too often I'm afraid.

Abuse like you described should not be happening in this day and in this country. It's a shame that it still happens, and all too often I'm afraid.

Abuse is abuse. But here's the thing, the coaches don't even realize it. It's not done on purpose, they think they're helping, I mean DD looked awesome on paper. And, because I wasn't a gymnast, I had no idea how this worked, and thought it was normal, as other girls were going through this also. It wasn't until DD was so strung out she was crying all the time, every day, that I just couldn't bear it any longer.

I will say this in hindsight....If the things said to her were said by a teacher in the classroom, fire and brimstone would be raining down. If a student couldn't find the greatest common factor, even after 15 tries, and the teacher made him/her cry, they would probably be out of a job. A good teacher would find multiple ways of explaining until it sinks in. A great coach does this as well. Only an inexperienced coach gets so easily frustrated with young girls for either being afraid or unable to throw high level skills. A great coach knows they want this talented, energetic bubble of fun to keep moving forward, but more importantly love the sport enough to stay in it for another 8 - 10 years!

I try not to harbor resentment, because I can see they were on unchartered ground with her. And when I had a question about something, they felt I was judging them or finding them incapable. Maybe they transferred some of this pressure to DD in order to not look bad themselves. Bottom line, I drove her to practice, paid for it, and witnessed behavior I knew without a doubt to be wrong, and allowed it to continue, so although they were wrong, the real blame lies with me. I have no excuses, it's just hard. It was like trying to leave a cult

This just happened to a friend of mine.....she finally left the cult, and is in a period of 'awakening'. She feels very guilty and is becoming mad at those coaches.......but at the same time, she is so happy to see her DD thriving in the new program.....

I just wanted to say that we switched from a more laid back gym to a gym like you describe as gym A and we learned really quickly that the more laid back gym where my DD was getting her skills less quickly but being treated better was by far the better choice for DD-- she could not deal with the constant yelling and being 'punished' or shunned for not getting a skill. sometimes careful what you wish for. Glad you feel good about your move.

I just wanted to say that we switched from a more laid back gym to a gym like you describe as gym A and we learned really quickly that the more laid back gym where my DD was getting her skills less quickly but being treated better was by far the better choice for DD-- she could not deal with the constant yelling and being 'punished' or shunned for not getting a skill. sometimes careful what you wish for. Glad you feel good about your move.

That is really unfortunate...I'm sorry you're in that situation. My dd is at a pretty high-caliber gym, but there is no yelling or threatening. The coaching staff is skilled and able to teach high level skills without resorting to threads, yelling or other unsavory practices. Yes, they are tough. But you can do that and be fair, kind and supportive at the same time. I hope you find that for your daughter someday.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back