WAG Sudden block on a flyaway??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A few weeks before states I started getting nervous about my front handspring layout in particular and wouldn't even throw a front handspring tuck on floor. Eventually I just started doing them on tumble track & reworking my confidence on it. I didn't really say anything to the coaches because they get really frustrated about stuff like this. I got over it and can do the tumbling pass confidently again. But now new blocks are popping up. On my cast to flyaway on high bar I am suddenly afraid for no reason at all. I did it at states completely by myself. The first time i did it without a spot, I went halfway and ended up missing my timing for the flyaway and let go really late. It really scared me even though I didn't get hurt. Ever since then i have been having problems with it. I thought i was past them, especially since I have been doing it all season without a spot. Now i can't even bring myself to go with a spot & it is really stressing me out because I really hate to disappoint my coaches and this will make them so mad/annoyed. I don't usually get afraid of things but lately some skills are just making me nervous. Any ideas how to get passed it or how to approach my coaches about it?

OG suddenly developed a block on flyaways out of the blue and her "Bars" coach had moved out of state. She hasn't done one since (May 2012). She has started back at the beginning... tap swings and timers. She wants it back now because she is moving to Xcel Platinum (and she would like to do it at Y Nationals this summer too). We started working timers at Open Gym - because they have a pit and it doesn't involve bringing the vault stack over to the uneven bars like it does at our gym. She has the timing down, so now she is just waiting for a coach to have time to spot her on them... on a day that somebody else also wants to learn them.
I tell you this to suggest you go back and work drills and skills leading up to the flyaway. Tell your coaches and they can help figure out what exactly you need to do. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back