Sudden Obsession with Beam Chalk?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Before this summer, I NEVER used chalk on beam.

Now I won't step on a beam without chalk on my feet. {I couldn't care less about chalk on my hands.}

I think this is linked to my sudden fear of beam. Maybe chalk makes me feel better.

Because...well, a few months ago, I was doing my cartwheel and I landed JUST on the beam, but my feet were sweaty and I slipped off and NEARLY landed on my back on the mat.

...that must be why I'm so scared of beam now.

And that must be why I feel better about beam if I use chalk.

Do you guys use chalk on beam? Should I try to refrain from using it, like, is Level 4 to early to start using chalk? Will I get a deduction if I were to use it at a meet? Should I break the habit?

I might sound crazy, like you may think these answers are obvious, but...well...they're not to me. xD

I had to use chalk even at low levels on my feet in beam, because they were so sweaty! Using the chalk to a certain extent is fine, but don't take baths in the stuff before you step on the beam.

A friend of mine practically bathed in chalk before high school meets, and a judge joked with her that she would get deducted for "excessive use of magnesium", but she never did.

It doesn't matter what level your in to use chalk, you won't get a deduction unless it gets out of hand, which I trust that you'll keep in-hand:)
I know this because I use chalk on beam as well, before my routine, I put a pinch of chalk on the spot on the beam where I do my back tuck, it's near the end of my routine, so I'm tired and usually sweaty.

We're not allowed to used chalk on the beam at our gym 'cause it ruins the beam covering. You won't get a deduction at a meet to the best of my knowledge.

I never needed to use chalk on beam until I started doing flight skills (up-training during level 6). Looking back, I don't know how I stayed on in the summer! We didn't have air-conditioning so the beams just absorbed all of the humidity in the air and got sopping wet.

I have never used chalk on the beam, and none of my teammates have either. All of the beams at my gym have new beam covers so them being slippery is not a problem. Before we got the covers, though, the beams were super slippery, almost to the point of it being dangerous, so we used to put spit on our feet. Weird (and gross), huh? Thinking back on it, it sounds really odd! I don't know who came up with it, but it actually seemed to work...

My advice to you, though, is that you should really probably try to break the habit. It's not good to rely on that stuff, and you shouldn't become dependent on using it. You should learn to be confident with yourself and with your gymnastics! But, of course, if you really think you need it, it's not a deduction so feel free to use it all you want.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back