summer camp, worth the money?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD was spotted a lot the first year, because she was a new L4 and couldn't do much! Now, she only gets spotted working advanced skills. Some skills are two levels up, and she gets a heavy spot. This doesn't bother me, because she is getting a feel for what is ahead if she keeps with it, and most of these skills she's not really ready for yet. I've seen plenty of pictures on their website where kids aren't getting spotted.

I'm just saying what happened to us- I was there the whole week & spent a lot of time at the gym. I had level 4-9's. Even the L9's "needed" to be spotted on the RO BHS layout they did to warm up for their other tumbling... same for timers into the pit, etc, warming up flight. It was the standing around & waiting that really upset me the most- no drills, etc. I'm glad others had better experience.

i loved camp as a kid. i went to central michigan university two years and michigan state university one year. i'm looking forward to getting back into shape enough that i can do camp again - as an adult. woodward is the only facility that i am aware of that offers camp for adult gymnast.

I am surprised also. I was leaning toward IGC due to one of our coach's recommendation. We have had other families go for a month at a time and never had anything bad to say. I guess it is all personal preference. It looks like it may be Woodward ,if anything, as that is where the coach and other team mates are going. I have also learned of the option to work at the camp at that cuts off the price. I'm still debating, though all the advice has been great!

There were lots of great things about IGC- food was great, beautiful grounds, very nice people. The canteen/dances/games/activities were a big hit w/ the kids. I dont expect my kids to learn a lot of new gymnastics at camp, but the gymnastics part was the worse part of our experience, so I thought I'd share. If your team is going to woodward, I would have your daughter go w/ them,... she will have a much better experience w/ her teammates than alone.

I went to IGC when I was a 10 year old level 5 with a bunch of girls from my gym. I had a lot of fun but I got nothing gymnastics wise out of it.
I went to Woodward for the first time as a 14 year old level 8 and I will be going back for the third time this summer as a level 9. I went by myself the first time and while I did meet people, I went to every single open gym and got a lot out of it gymnastics wise. My coaches were really happy because I came back being able to do a bunch of skills.
I went to Woodward last summer with one of my teammates and I went to every open gym still while she did not and learned a lot and ended up getting tapped, so I can use my tap discount this year.
IGC is a better camp for little kids as it is more structured. I remember we did everything as a cabin. You have more actual classes but less open gym time.
Woodward is better for a higher level older gymnast because you can do gymnastics for like up to 7 or 8 hours a day. There is plenty of staff around to help you with whatever you need and they are all very good coaches. It is a lot less structured than IGC, so I can see how parents would not want to send their younger gymnasts there.
I would definitely reccomend Woodward though. Hope this helps!

My daughter did a holiday type camp last year, not sleepover, but the day structure was just like they do during summer camp. She had a ton of fun (3 days of camp) and "got" a few skills, though she didn't get a chance to keep working them, so it was just fun and the thrill of being able to say she did it. :) It was worth it for her as she had a blast.

I think if things get better for us by summer, we might send her to the college sleepover summer camp if a friend can go and bunk with her. She really loves it there and they have a great program. She said she would rather have that than a birthday party. :D

As an experience, yes but for their gymnastics, no. Especially if it is in pre-season.

Going with your coaches as a group might be a good team bonding event if your coach wasn't a fuddy-duddy. Personally, I'd like to go and have fun myself if I could get the time off. Coach during the day, play at night and no way would I want to be a cabin counselor (I've heard the horror stories).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back