Parents summer camps - for gym not just fun (but it can be fun...)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gracyomalley

Proud Parent
I know there have been threads about the pluses and minuses of camps on here, and I do get that they could be very unnecessary. We are in a bit of an unusual circumstance. My boys lost their coach in January, and have had a fill in younger, less experienced coach. He is doing very well, but has to carry "the book" around with him and the L7 boys are basically telling him what my older son who's trying to gain L7 skills needs to learn, plus honestly, I've seen enough college age coaches come and go in both gyms to not count on this one!:confused:

In the past the boys gym sponsored a summer camp and boys from several other teams came with their coaches, which allowed the boys to work out with more high level athletes. They may not even have a gym for a month this summer while the HC seperates from all the old coaches finances....so the options right now are limited to 3-7 hour drives to other gyms for boys mini-camps.

DDs gym is doing a mini-camp, but my only concern with her is that she is excessively attached to her HC and I'd like her to spend some time in a different environment. She's an 11 yo now L8, and already competent at much of the L8 skill set but hesitant to branch out much - her team did almost no up-training over the last 6 months, and she's having some issue on her tap with her giants that keeps coming and going - as well as a few other things that I just wonder if a different approach might help with. She's also the kid who loves to condition, generally wants to work longer/harder, and such, whereas we are in a small town and although her team does really well considering how small the pool of kids is, there are quite a few of them who would rather dress up and play games all summer than work - and honestly when DD was 8 she was one of those, so I'm not criticizing - I just know she already told the bars coach she wants "more conditioning" and "more overshoot drills"...

There is no such thing as TOPS or other "serious" training in our area (and in some ways I am grateful for that as we may have gone that route and I know it has its pluses and minuses.

Any ideas of camps that are for boys and girls, L5-8, and although not torture, are not about singing songs and chucking skills? Obviously it would be a big investment - so I'd want it to be worth it. Also, if camp doesn't seem a reasonable option to keep the kiddos moving forward this summer, feel free to tell me to not worry about it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back