Parents Summer camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I THINK it also states what weeks the celebrities will be there on the website too....International Gymnastics Camp - Home

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Penn State University's camp? DD's been to IGC for the last 2 summers, but the rates have really gone up and now there's no discount for groups of 10 or more. With this economy, I'm looking for something maybe a bit less expensive!!!

Last edited:
Mom2GM--Most overnight camps have a minimum age, so you would have to check to see if your dd is old enough. The day camps(college type) would probably be more open to taking younger kids and also letting parents hang around if there is a concern about medical issues. There has been discussion here about Karolyis camp and there you drop the child off and really don't see them for a week. Also, Bela and Marta do not really do much coaching there----they bring in others for the day to day coaching.
If you want to work at the same camp as dd, get in touch with any camp you're interested in now. The parent slots fill up FAST! I would think that the LSU camp might be a good compromise for her 1st ever camp.

Most of the ones I checked, the min. age is 7. I knew Bela and Marta would not be coaching at camp but figured the staff would at least be teaching the skills DD needs. I wasn't sure about a college camp vs. other camps. It seems like there are fewer options down here in the south, which stinks. The day camp at LSU is not really an option for her because it is more of a recreational type "give your kids something to do while school is out" kind of thing through the Continuing Ed dept. but the overnight camp is run by the LSU gymnastics department so if she went there, it is where I would put her. My fear about a college camp is that they stay in the dorms and are shuttled back and forth to the areas of campus they need, which, IMO, creates more opportunities to get lost or exposed to the general public, etc. I like the idea of a camp where everything is together and dedicated JUST to the campers, as opposed to the general population, kwim? I will look into LSU's camp a little more, though and go from there. Thanks for your help!

Mom2---Get where you're coming from on the stay on a college campus. Some of the big gyms(like WOGA) in the Dallas area have summer camps. Usually with those, kids from out of state stay at a motel with family and go to the gym during the day.

We're in a similar situation in CO. Only 2 college type camps and a few hosted by gyms, but the weeks offered are very limited. So, any of our kids that want to do a week long away from home camp have to travel to CA, TX or up to Lake Owen.

Good luck finding a program that works for you. Let us know how it works out.

My DD will be 6 the end of June. She is competing AAU 3 currently and will be training AAU4 by summer. she is too young to do over-night camps and I am not ready to leave her over night yet!! LOL
we are in Georgia. We are looking for a really good competitive day camp. We are willing to travel to FL, SC, NC, or AL. My parents are taking us in their motorhome and paying for the camp for DD's bday gift! that's what she asked for, sounds weird to me but all she wants is CAMP!!!
Anyone have any ideas! my parents would prefer to be near beach so they can relax will DD practices.
I am considering Orlando Metro day camp. About a 35 mile drive from beach!
ANY SUGGESTIONS???
thanks!!!
amy

Our gym goes to Beach Break in Myrtle Beach they have camps the week before and week after the 4th of July. Don't have the name of the gym handy. If you are interested PM me and I will get it for you. My DD was very upset she could not go last year (we just didn't have the $ - this year is looking worse - she may be disappointed again)

kristilyn,

I was going to put on my application that if they are in need for a nurse for week 9, that I would not mind staying over if I can get the time off of work. I know that one of last year's week 9 nurses came back after having been there for week 4, as they had a hole to fill.

Barb
That would be great! Let me know what they say!

I THINK it also states what weeks the celebrities will be there on the website too....International Gymnastics Camp - Home

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Penn State University's camp? DD's been to IGC for the last 2 summers, but the rates have really gone up and now there's no discount for groups of 10 or more. With this economy, I'm looking for something maybe a bit less expensive!!!

If you're looking for something in PA, the Parkettes do a summer camp where the girls stay with a gym family. No expense there exept for spending money. Also, I believe there's a Woodward Camp in the Pocono area.

The guy from Woodwards camp came to our meet last week to announce/awards all weekend...he was a HOOT...so funny with the girls. he also had a table set up with information. I filled out a coupon to get some stuff sent to me. They may have website too. I think most of the girls at our gym go either there or to the IGC one. Some girls from the L4 team might go this year, but DD still might be too young for an all weeker. well, she would say she is fine with it, so let's just say i am the one with the staying all week issues, LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back