WAG Summer practices

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

l&h1234

Coach
Proud Parent
I have 2 DDs in gymnastics and 1 other boy that does other sports. My eldest is 13- level 9 and is homeschooled. My 2 youngest are 10 (my DD is level 5) and they go to school and are off for the summer. We just found out that my oldest has to be in the gym the whole summer and we already had vacations planned. Is it ok if we still go on some of the vactions and one of us stays home? Is that fair? NEED HELP!!!!!!

I think that you could talk to your gym. No matter what they say your whole family should go. At least two weeks off for your oldest. Our gym gives the girls 2 weeks (of our choice off). We are going to Colorado for a week and Florida for a week. Have fun!

I have 2 DDs in gymnastics and 1 other boy that does other sports. My eldest is 13- level 9 and is homeschooled. My 2 youngest are 10 (my DD is level 5) and they go to school and are off for the summer. We just found out that my oldest has to be in the gym the whole summer and we already had vacations planned. Is it ok if we still go on some of the vactions and one of us stays home? Is that fair? NEED HELP!!!!!!
Depends on the gym. My DD gym gives 2 weeks of vacation in summer

Go on vacation. Tell them when you will be gone, do not ask If it is ok. You are the customer, your DD is the athlete. She needs a mental and physical break. The coaches do not dictate your family schedule.

The Olympics are not this next year, so she is not aiming for trials any time soon.

For those of you who have gyms giving 2 weeks off in summer, are the coaches taking off time as well? Do they have a set "vacation time"?

Our gym also allows for summer vacations, on the gymnasts time not revolved around the coaches vacations or anything. They know that time away from the gym and with family is just as important as everything else.
Our gym has the same policy. We have two weeks off, one in June and one in August where the gym is closed for all sports and the coaches are off too. If athletes want to take other time off they can, with the understanding that there are no makeups for that time off. During the school year coaches will allow makeups for missed practices. Our gym has practices scheduled 50 weeks of the year.

For our family, we schedule vacations for those two weeks and then long weekends because our gymnast practices during the summer Mondays through Thursdays 4 hours a day. We have taken a third week off in late September, before the true season kicks in for the past couple of years. It helps that we homeschool, but we have always homeschooled, not for gymnastics reasons but because it works for our family.

I have a L10 daughter so I get that gym is important and summer is uptraining time, but family and a mental break is just as important. Do it now, as it might get a little harder once she reaches level 10. Like txgymfan said, she's not aiming for the Olympics. Even if she is aiming for college gym (and maybe especially if) the rest won't hurt her. It won't mean a hill of beans in the long run, and your relationship, and her mental health, are as important as whether she gets a skill on x-date vs. a week or so later.

Our gym has a week off during 4th of July week and we will take our vacation during that time this year, but we will also take a few long weekends here and there. This will be at my discretion and I will not ask the gym for permission.

We have a fun trip planned for the week of the 4th of July. I'm going to make sure she can go for a little break! Thanks everyone![emoji3]

My DD is a level 10. Our team gets 2 set weeks off in summer when coaches are also off. We normally take our vacations during the first week because the second one conflicts with DS starting Fall sports practice in high school. However, DD will also miss another week for college camp and maybe 1-2 other days for fun.... we do not ask permission. As someone said, you never get these years back. A few extra days off are not going to make or break her getting a skill.

Our gym offers 9 weeks of summer training (between the 24th of june and mid-august usually). We asked the gymnasts to be there 5 weeks amongst these 9 (minimum). This way, families can plan their vacation. There are more or less girls in a group depending of the week.

Our gym has the same policy. We have two weeks off, one in June and one in August where the gym is closed for all sports and the coaches are off too. If athletes want to take other time off they can, with the understanding that there are no makeups for that time off. During the school year coaches will allow makeups for missed practices. Our gym has practices scheduled 50 weeks of the year.

For our family, we schedule vacations for those two weeks and then long weekends because our gymnast practices during the summer Mondays through Thursdays 4 hours a day. We have taken a third week off in late September, before the true season kicks in for the past couple of years. It helps that we homeschool, but we have always homeschooled, not for gymnastics reasons but because it works for our family.
Ours is exactly the same. Decreased hours over Christmas break too though.

Our gym has a few weeks set aside for vacation for all- kids and coaches- there is no practice at all. They also allow for the kids to take an additional two weeks off during the summer that is approved. We plan on just using the scheduled days off but it's nice to be able to plan a vacation and not have to worry about missing practice.

I really like when a gym has scheduled weeks off during the summer. And also December. That way you don't take off a week, then find the next week your child's main coach is out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back