WAG Summer practices

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Go on the vacations. They are already planned, your DD is probably excited, and it's ultimately not the end of the world or of her upcoming season. I think most gyms are pretty reasonable about this. Most gymnasts also remain pretty active on their vacations/breaks- hiking, biking, swimming- so it's not like they are sitting and staring at a tv for an entire week without movement (end even if they did, it's a week).
We have a break at the beginning of the summer (usually about 2 weeks) that covers end of school activities and the first week off and another towards the end of the summer- it's for both coaches and athletes to give everyone a physical and mental break. It's great when vacation times line up with these off times, but we also understand there are times when it just doesn't work out with family vacations, summer camps, and other things going on and are flexible when kids need to miss. We also finish practice early afternoon on Friday and have weekends off, not practicing again until Monday evening so long weekends fit in pretty well. We just try to cram as much as we possibly can into the time they are there.

our gym closes completely a full week in august and they take a 1/2 week 4th of july. we go away every july for a week and that is usually all we do during the summer. our gym has a camp week the week before the off week and it's optional (and more money) and we are skipping that this year. that way dd will have 2 full weeks off at the end of the summer. we have an extra week long vacation scheduled for time during those 2 weeks.

honestly, my dd does better with time off. i've seen it when she's sprained her ankle and then hurt her knee this past season. both times she's come back stronger on vault. so i'm hoping that 2 full weeks off will give her a much needed rest physically and mentally.

The gym where my ODD trains artistic is Xcel only, so a little different, but they close the team program for the entire summer. Eight whole weeks. The coach says the girls come back rejuvenated and ready to work, and she comes back with renewed patience.

We basically have the month of July off ... But there are 2 weeks of rec camp where team girls can come work out for free and HC is considering a week of team camp (not free, possibly $50) to teach routines. Since we have as many optionals as we do compulsories, this is a good idea.
That being said, families can take vacations whenever they want.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back