Parents Summer schedule and eating

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
Our girls are use to working 3 hrs in the gym with quick water breaks in between. In the summer we do 4hrs. What is your schedule and do your coaches give quick breaks or one big break for hydration and snack.

Our girls do 4 hours with about 3 quick water breaks. No snacks. This always bothers me because they come straight from school and haven't eaten since lunch, cram down a quick snack in the car and then don't get dinner until like 7:30-8pm! But, my kid never seems to mind.

My girls have 4hrs and they bring water bottles so they can have water anytime they feel the need. They don't have a snack break so I give them a snack after school at about 4:00 and then we pick up or I bring them dinner at 8:45

Our girls do 3 hour practices and get a short 3-4 min break between rotations so about every 30 min or so. They take snacks but I don't think DD ever eats them...lol

Mine used to go 4 hours 1x per week on Sunday. She ate lunch before (nothing heavy) and quick water breaks during. It slightly bothers me that they don't drink enough water, I wish the coaches would encourage them to keep a water bottle with them. Now we switched and the new gym does a quick snack break (during a 3-hour practice!) Over the summer they will have longer practices, but I am sure they will do snack breaks.

Summer hours are 4 five hour practices. Coaches demand water and electrolytes. They get 5 to 10 minutes break to eat a snack, fruit or vegetables are preferred.

My girls have had three hour practices with a built in snack break and up to six hour practices with no break period. No matter the set up they listen to their bodies and grab a handful of nuts or fruit when they need it. Coaches have always been okay with it.

Normally my daughter trains 4 hours with a 10-15 min breaks and carry a water bottle to drink when needed but this summer will be different. Will be training 6 hours of training. 2 hours in the morning with and long lunch break ans then 4 hours with a normal 10-15 minutes snack break. And, water bottle when needed at all time.

During the school year they had one 'long' practice ( all the compulsory levels, 3.5 hours), so they had a 10-15 min snack break mid way. Their practices in the summer are no longer than 3 hours, so they just get drink breaks between rotations, and that's it.

Five hour practices fives days a week in the summer. They get one nutrition break typically around 15 mins mid way through the practice.
Snack breaks must have good healthy food (yogurt, apples, smoothes, water melon - stuff to kept them hydrated)
My dd carries around her water bottle and fills it several times throughout the practice.

Thanks everyone. I am hoping to talk to coaches about a 10 to 15 snack break which now isn't in place. Girls can come out for water at any time and when they do they just put chips in their mouths quick drink and run back.

Always allowed water and always encouraged 3-4 hours no snack. Camp weeks are 6 hours they break for lunch.

Practices are 4-5 hours and they drink water as needed with a 15 min nutrition break. I'm glad our coaches are firm believers in fueling the body properly. I can hardly go 4 hours without eating and I'm not working hard like they are!

DD does 4 hour practices. They do not get snack breaks for 4 hour practices. They get water breaks after every rotation and I guess a kid could grab a few bites of something during that time, but they're pretty short breaks. We also have dd eat in the car, both on the way to gym and on the way home.

Last summer she had a 5-6 hour practice once a week. They would get one snack break during those practices in addition to their multiple water breaks. I don't know exactly how long it was for -maybe 15 minutes?

Thanks everyone. I am hoping to talk to coaches about a 10 to 15 snack break which now isn't in place. Girls can come out for water at any time and when they do they just put chips in their mouths quick drink and run back.
Well, chips are not a good snack for gymnasts. If you are going to let them grab a snack, make it granola bites, or carrot sticks, or apple slices, or a power bar. Chips have no nutritional value. At the local natural food store, they sell power bites, which are a granola bar=type snack cut into squares with good stuff packed in them.

Our gym has 3-5 hour practices with no snack breaks. They can have water all they want. They eat before and after. And if they have a blood sugar problem, they can have a solid snack, like a power bar or a piece of fruit. No chips, nuts, seeds, candy, etc, mainly because of the mess.

Well, chips are not a good snack for gymnasts.

Sometimes you just need to get something into them......................
Sometimes depending on the child chips are a choice............................... Potatoes, a carb.....................

At our gym, no nuts allowed due to kids with allergies.......... So that pretty much rules out many a protein/granola bar.................

While chips are not my choice I know too many kids with all kinds of allergies and other issues. So if a kid eats chips, have at it.

Our boys have a 4 hour practice with a 10-15 min break in the middle. They are asked to eat a healthy snack...so a healthy protein/fruit or fat. D likes to have salmon with applesauce or blueberries. Sometimes he has avocado. I make energy bites and use no peanut butter. Our gym has kids with allergies, but they do not hold to a no-peanut rule. We just try to not have them as much as possible, but sometimes he has them. the boys do a good job of eating something healthy and fueling for the rest of practice.

Not sufficient snack breaks is something that has bugged me for a while! - my boys train 3-4.5 hours straight year round, with no snack break, but it is worse in the summer because they train in the morning. According to them they are allowed to go eat a snack during practice but only during the rotation time on the event (rather than between events or when they are getting instructions.) Well my kids never want to miss their turns, so they don't do this unless they are starving. And by then it is too late, really, from an energy standpoint. Of course they claim they just do not feel hungry during practice but I have my doubts.

My husband is mad because we buy them protein bars that are a dollar a pop and they end up eating them on the way home- and we are less than 10 minutes from the gym! Water we are ok as they bring a large water bottle and they drink it all because they know I will get on them if they do not. We have also instituted a hydration chart for the rest of the day because keeping properly hydrated means drinking enough fluids at all times.
At our gym, no nuts allowed due to kids with allergies.......... So that pretty much rules out many a protein/granola bar.................

Yikes that scared me as I would be lost without being able to give kids bars, so I did a little searching.
For anyone interested, there actually are commercial protein bars that are seed and fruit based rather than nut based. Search online nut free protein bars. Or you can make your own with a food processor with ground up sunflower seeds and raisins or dates (and I imagine many other things) if you are feeling so motivated.

D likes to have salmon with applesauce or blueberries
Ok I am trying to imagine my kid's faces if I gave them salmon for a snack. Do you mean fresh baked salmon or like in a can?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back