summer time off

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

Janetgym

Hi!

I am going to have 4 weeks off gymnastics this summer (not my fault, my parents planned our vacations right before the coach's vacation).

I would like to come back as good as I can. What is the best way to do that? Completely rest my body? Do gym conditioning? Do another sport? I was thinking of swimming, is that a good one?

Thank you.

Janet

I think that some girls have called gyms near where they will be on vacation and worked out with the team there while on vacation. Maybe you could try that. Be sure to check with your coach first. And your parents.

Hi!

I am going to have 4 weeks off gymnastics this summer (not my fault, my parents planned our vacations right before the coach's vacation).

I would like to come back as good as I can. What is the best way to do that? Completely rest my body? Do gym conditioning? Do another sport? I was thinking of swimming, is that a good one?

Thank you.

Janet
Good question! My dd has only been training since May and is on Lvl 4 team. We are going to be out of town for 10 days and she will train at least twice with a team where we will be at and go to an open gym. She is going to miss 15 hours of training so if I can make that up I will be happy.

If I remember right, once you hit 2 weeks off you begin to lose strength. I would say be sure to stretch a lot and swimming is a great exercise if you can't get to an open gym or training center.

Don't forget that cheer gyms have plenty of tumbling space so if there isn't a gymnastics facility there may be a cheer alternative!

I think that some girls have called gyms near where they will be on vacation and worked out with the team there while on vacation. Maybe you could try that. Be sure to check with your coach first. And your parents.

this is exactly what you ask your mom and dad to do for you.:)

If you can't find another gym to train at, or if your parents and/or coaches do not think it's a good idea, do basic conditioning and stretching. Pushups, situps/crunches, hollow holds, arch ups, handstand holds, and anything you can do safely will help you maintain your strength. If you can find a play-ground, you can do pull-ups and leg lifts. Make sure you stretch. Doing something to mantain endurance is also helpful, such as running or swimming. Just make sure you do anything safely and with supervision.

You can lose strength in as little as a few days. Most of this strength loss at the beginning isn't muscle but it's neurological. Eventually you will lose muscle mass if you don't use it because it is very costly for your body to maintain metabolically and nutritionally.

If you were going to one locale, I'd look for a gym. If that isn't possible, doing basic conditioning every day besides being active is huge.

Check this out.

Calisthenics - Conditioning Without Equiptment

Focus on strength, gymnasts develop endurance to the necessity of adapting to workout for 2-5 hours at a time. Still, it's anerobic for the most part and general endurance stuff doesn't exactly transfer over. Swimming can be better than jogging or cycling. Sprint intervals carry over far better.

A lot of this depends on what level of gymnast you are and how dedicated you are.

Summer time is not a good time for compulsories who compete in fall to miss and it isn't a great time for optionals as it's preseason and time to work on strength, power and new skills.

Hi!

Thank you.

Janet

most of the girls at our gym if they are going to be gone more than a week their parents contact a local gym in the area where they are going to vacation and arrange to practice with the team level their daughter is. If they can't find any gyms then the coaches have a "conditioning drill sheet" that they have to do 2x's a day once in the AM and once at night.

You can lose strength in as little as a few days. Most of this strength loss at the beginning isn't muscle but it's neurological. Eventually you will lose muscle mass if you don't use it because it is very costly for your body to maintain metabolically and nutritionally.

If you were going to one locale, I'd look for a gym. If that isn't possible, doing basic conditioning every day besides being active is huge.

Check this out.

Calisthenics - Conditioning Without Equiptment

they have those chin up bars now that fit over the door frames and don't require any screws to attach. We got one of those for our Daugher and she uses it any day she doesn't have gymnastics. It really is great and we can bring it with us when we travel for conditioning.

here is a link to it https://www.tryirongym.com/?mid=547744&a=55959&s=

I have been wondering also my dd is 9 yrs old training L5.She is going to Ky to stay with her grandparents and cousins for 2 1/2 wks.They live in the hills closest gym 80miles not happening N/E KY people are laid back my stepdad cooks meet in a pan full of grease(Yuck).They live on a small farm.I will not be there so I cannot see her doing strength very often ,my family thinks dd's life is to ectic( she is also in Girl scouts and takes horse riding lessons) and does not understand wy she has to train so many hours.The longest break she has taken from the gym is a wk ,which was not a big deal it seemed to help her .Just curious what to expect when she comes back she is naturally strong builds muscle pretty quick but lacks in flexiblty.Her coaches do not no yet ,they will not be happy.It was my dd's idea to go up which I think it will be great mental break for her,she has not been up there in 4yrs.I also do not want her to get way behind at the gym also.

My girls often don't train for weeks at a time.Oldest just went back after a month off, she hasn't lost any skills, obviously she is not as strong as she was, but it comes back very quickly.

I will never be prepared to commit to a sport that my kid can't take a small break from, but I know we wouldn't fit in 90% of US gyms because of it. Most of the gyms within 90 mins drive of here do not have obligatory training in the summer, just not the demand for it.

We had one girl who went for a month break to Europe with no training there, she did walk, swim, bike etc. She came back and the next day did a meet, she beat everyone! A break can be just what the doctor ordered!

Gym Mom I am sure you DD will be fine just having a break with her family. You could ask her coach for a series of simple conditioning exercises that she can do each day.

I think that a break is great for gymmies. Their young bodies have intense training and stress on their joints year round. A good rest and break from gym brings most back energized and ready for more.

My dd and many others that I know take 2-3 weeks off in the summer with no ill effects. We go to the same place and gyms are available nearby, but I prefer that my dd enjoy other activities and give her joints a rest!

Last edited:
I agree with ginnymac and bogwoppit :)

Swimming is a great way to keep yourself in shape. Maybe practise your splits and do some press ups and crunches, but its great to completely rest your body for a while.

Thank you all for your replies.

We will not be staying at the same place, we will be camping at different places so going to another gym is not an option. The nearest gym from home is 1 h and half away.

I am 14, level 7 hopefully level 8 in January. I made it there with hard work and dedication not super talent.

Janet

We are going up to the East Coast this summer for 10 days. My dd is a L8 and this is the first time we have ever had to look for a gym to workout over vacation. She is the type of gymnast that loses strength quickly...which is why her coach recommended we do this for at least a couple of times. In our area, there are lots of gyms....where we are going doesn't have many at all--in fact we have to drive 1 hour to one of them. :eek:

Oh well--she loves it and we will get to have a lovely drive I am sure :) Anyway--I am hoping that this is going to help when she gets back into her gym...sorry I am not more help! This is just our coaches' advice....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back