WAG Summer Training for College Athletes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NutterButter

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Parents and coaches of collegiate gymnasts - I have questions for you all regarding summer training. What does training look like for your DD or college gymnast while they are home for the summer? Do they train with their former JO teammates? Are they part of a separate college training group (assuming your gym has enough to do this)? Or do they have a different time set aside for them to get in some gym time? How much active coaching do they receive? Do they get feedback/corrections/spotting on skills or are they kinda left ‘alone’?

The ones that come in to our gym join our L10s and are coached by their coach. They are working on their own things, but get spotting/coaching just like the 10s. That is what my kiddo plans to do.

They jump in with the L10s at every gym I have worked at, but get minimal assistance (unless they ask). They usually don't pay tuition (again this is just referring to gyms I have worked at), and most of them only come in a little bit. If they are working on an upgrade, they would get assistance but many of them are just there to maintain the skills they have done for 4 or more years. Sometimes they want to stay in the town of their college and they will instead take a PT job at a local gym which would allow them to do maintenance workouts with that gym's optionals.

Most of the mid-high level D1 teams train most of the summer at the college. My d is a d3. Last year she worked at Woodward for part of the summer and trained there during her off times. When she was home, she trained at her former gym and in both places, the coaches assisted with skills/spotting, etc.

the ones at my kid's gym just kind of do their own thing. The JO coaches get that they have their own program so to speak from their college coaches, and those who don't are free to work on what they feel they need. Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone! My daughter will be coming home in a few weeks and does not want to go back to her home gym. I don't even know how easy or hard it will be for her to train at another place but I guess we will find out! She has her own skills and goals that she is working towards but would like some coaching over the summer and I know she will benefit being with others. She got almost no coaching last summer with her home gym but I acknowledge that it was so awkward with gyms just coming back from being closed and having to maintain smaller practice groups than usual. I didn't like how she was treated, but I also understood the situation. Also, she didn't have separate goals last summer because she was an incominng freshman and her college coach doesn't give the incoming freshman any guidance until they arrive. So she just did what she thought she should do but it wasn't a productive summer.

Thanks everyone! My daughter will be coming home in a few weeks and does not want to go back to her home gym. I don't even know how easy or hard it will be for her to train at another place but I guess we will find out!
I would highly recommend that she start talking with other gyms now about the possibility. There are a lot of gyms that will not allow adult gymnasts to train. If they competed with the particular gym, that would be different but a new adult, the frown on it and with Covid still here, this could be an added issue.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back