Coaches Summer training Hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymCoachSara

As a coach I am wondering about twice a day trainings for the summer. Do a lot of gyms do this in the off season or stick to the common four hour a day training. This is of course for optional gymnasts.

Awfully hard on their families too. Summer should be fun for the kids and twice a day training would make it very hard to plan any activities.

I'd agree with the two posters above....besides the obvious fact that parents will not very likely be okay with driving to the gym that many times in a day, athletes will become very exhausted. I had an athlete doing two a days just once a weeek and we needed to stop them because the results were exhaustion. Of course athletes may feel burnt out sooner too because even if they do 2 hours and then 2 hours, they skill have to go TWICE, and essentially free up their entire day.

Personally i think that a lot is dependent on the group of kids, age, rest intervals planned, training plans/goals, nutrition, coach responsibility and knowledge, and injury prevention program, and gradual introduction.
I think it is an over statement to say
Awfully hard on their families too
because, most families can work out carpool, they need to have their kids baby set anyways. Personally i am aiming to have my group of boys come in 2 days in the summer in the mornings for 2.5hrs
This time will be devoted to conditioning, injury prevention,flexibility, basics!!!!!!, and tumble track...things that
a- i won't have time for in the afternoon practices all the time,
b- will allow me to spend more time per event in the evening twice a week
c- i have planned a rest day every 2-3 days thus hopefully plenty of rest and recovery time

So yeah i think it is very case by case dependent.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back