Summer training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lss17

Proud Parent
Hi do any of your gymnast have a break in training over summer or gym close for a few weeks in summer holidays

Depends on the gymnasts level. A lot of clubs operate on a termly basis for recreational gymnasts, but most competitive one keep going

DDs current and previous clubs have a two week summer shutdown, so no training for anyone.
We have always timed our holiday with this so she doesn't miss any sessions :)

One week shutdown (just finished) for annual maintenance and re opens tomorrow, no more closure until Christmas.

Yeah daughters gym had a break for 3 weeks as the coach explained because they do a lot of hours (25 a week) she wanted them to rest body and minds. But now she doing a week of fitness and I'm worried that having 4 weeks of no gym she will loose skills.

Yeah daughters gym had a break for 3 weeks as the coach explained because they do a lot of hours (25 a week) she wanted them to rest body and minds. But now she doing a week of fitness and I'm worried that having 4 weeks of no gym she will loose skills.

I wouldn't worry. Any kid doing 25 hours should have muscles with memories as sharp as their brain. She must be doing very well, how old is she?

She is 12 and is doing great. I know I shouldn't worry and I can understand having a rest is a good idea as its always so full on with school, training and competitions. Plus she still has a good 4 weeks of summer training left.

In France the kids on the intensive training programme at our gym (15-24 hours depending on age and level) all have 4 weeks off in the summer. It does them no harm whatsoever, allows them to rest and heal and lets us have family time. All good.

All of our competitive groups from level A to elite stream levels take 3 weeks long vacation during summer. Some higher groups have mandatory home training to do at that time though. The families are recommended to have their longer trips and family events at that time. It works out fine but sometimes when gymnast's family is unable to go to vacation when the gym brake takes place and they go to 1-2 weeks vacation outside the break it's not nice for kids to be out of gym 4-5 weeks in a row.

Edit: needed to add that usually the gym break is on July when many of the parents are not working

Rec classes have a 2 week break, competitive classes are increased and no breaks but most gymnasts do have a family holiday. We are thinking about closing for 1 week next year and hope to encourage parents to take their holiday in that week, but that will be their choice!

No break apart from if you book your own holiday (we've just had a stunning week in Rhodes) & DD had conditioning homework every other day.
Her club closes down for 2 weeks over Christmas & the fees allow for that and an extra 2 weeks personal choice holiday.
Certain squads are told when they can their 2 weeks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back