WAG Summer training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
So, i am Reading a lot of threads about summer training. However, my gym closes during the entire summer break (6 weeks long in the netherlands). I am planning on doing conditioning during those weeks, but i don't really know how many and if i should work skills. Is it better to give my body a break or would you reccomend training at home during summer?

Give your body a break. Condition 3-5 days a week. Have fun on your break.

Our gym basically has 4 weeks off, unless team members come in during rec camp, where they can train a little on whatever apparatus is free.

If I have kids going on long vacations over the summer I typically just tell them to stay active (which most of them do without my asking). Hiking, swimming, biking, running around outside, etc. Stretching is always good too. If you want to do some strength stuff- go for it, but don't go overboard! Enjoy the break and let your body rest.

^^^ this! My gym used to shut down for 2 weeks in the summer and I would be away for a week as well so 3 weeks off. I swam 2-3 times a week at my local swimming pool and every day when I was on holiday. I also did lots of walking and a little bit of conditioning.

Swimming is the best thing to do if it's an option because it's good for stamina but doesn't work your muscles / joints excessively which allows them to rest while you keep active [emoji16]

Thanks for all of the advice! Swimming might be an option for at least one week (when we are actually away), and depending on the weather/my friends, it might be more

Whenever DD has breaks from gymnastics, she loves to rock climb. Maybe that would be something you would enjoy?

Take some dance classes if you're interested! I'd especially recommend modern dance since I think it teaches you a lot about how your body works and moves. Also ballet, hip hop, and/or jazz if you're interested in those things. I think it's good to get a technical/artistic perspective on physical movement outside of gymnastics.

Take some dance classes if you're interested! I'd especially recommend modern dance since I think it teaches you a lot about how your body works and moves. Also ballet, hip hop, and/or jazz if you're interested in those things. I think it's good to get a technical/artistic perspective on physical movement outside of gymnastics.
I did dancing when i was younger, but all the dance centers closed for the same six weeks. I will check if that is still the same

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back