Parents Summer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
We just got our summer schedule last week. DD stays 16hrs. Tuesday is her day off. M, TH and Fri she trains in the am. Wed. is in the afternoon. I think i like it.

DD has had a few meets since I posted last. She has really improved her floor and beam scores (L6) to consistantly be in the 9's. Her vault has really improved too. She has been working hard since the last meet. Her coach says if she does a good one it will also be in the 9's. Bars is still bars. A work in progress. She still cannot connect the 2nd kip to the squat on without stopping during the routine. She is starting to get it in practice but is very inconsistant.

Bye!

We received our summer schedule in January, and DD who is a L4 working towards L5 will go 13 hours a week this summer. M-T-Th from 10:30 to 1:30 and Wed from 7:30 to 11:30am. The day hours are a bummer with working, but luckily I have changed from 8 hour to 12 hour shifts and only work 5 days in 2 weeks with 2 of those days being Sat and Sun. Thank goodness for Grandma who will help to get her to and from the gym.

Barb

We got the summer schedule in February (early this year). Beth (level 8 after this year) will be going Mon through Friday 9-1. In the fall the 8s drop back to 4 days a week--at least they did last year after the coaches bowed to parental pressure. To be honest, Beth does really good at school, so I have no concerns about her practicing 5 days a week, but she'll be happy with one less day :).

And congrats to your DD on her improvements!!!

We got the summer schedule at the new gym. DD is a level 4 and she will go T/W/Fr from 2:30-5:45. Not quite 10 hours, which is about what they do during the regular practice schedule. I am happy with that. She would have been going 16 hours as a level 5 at her old gym and I so didn't want that increase in hours at her age. She would have loved it, but I am not sure I am ready for it. LOL.

Her old gym last year did the same schedule for compulsories as normal. Optionals went during the day from 9-3 (4pm for level 9/10s) M-F, which seems crazy to me. The price was crazy as well. Not sure what optionals at new gym do during summer. L5 and L6 are at the same time that L4s are, but they go 4 days and get out about 30-60 minutes later.

These threads are always fun to see how different summer schedules are for different gyms.

Haven't seen a summer schedule yet. They're probably waiting to do official L5/6 move ups and get a better idea how many compulsory and new L7 girls they'll have. They usually try to do most of their practices in the mornings, but now since our optional team is also getting larger, it might be more of a challenge to not have all the teams in the gym at the same time. Last summer, gymmie alternated practices from 8-1 or 2-7. The L9s and up had 2 days/week of 2 a day practices. I heard the parents weren't all that thrilled with that schedule.

Dd is level 8, training 9, who knows what she will end up being. Her summer schedule is M-Th 2-6pm - HC/O doesn't want the team in while the Rec classes are there in the mornings, so we are the afternoon/evenings, which in actuality is good so they will have the whole gym to work with - and then on Friday's 9-12.

It is really interesting to see how the gyms all do things differently. We have not got our summer schedule yet as our gym is kind of redoing their program. They will be moving girls everywhere in June, so we will get an official schedule in May (so last minute) I know they have a lot of L4's this year and a huge gap in age, one group that was moved end of last year all 9+ and the group moving in June all 5-6. I think they are going to do 2 seperate classes since there are so many.

Guess we shall see.

This is interesting. Our gym does not move girls up until September when the fall schedule starts. They train over the summer and based on what skills they have, the decisions are made as to what level they compete. BTW we start competing in Dec with states in May.

Compulsories don't get a different summer schedule at our gym, although I did find out that the date for move-ups this year is the beginning of May instead of June, so I guess I'll know in another week or so what level youngest dd will be. Older dd wants to stay prep-opt, so it's really only younger dd that I'm curious about. Older dd might get daytime practices though. Usually the optionals are the only ones that have practice during the day in the summer, but there seems to be some talk of having L6, L7 and prep-opt having daytime practices for the summer. I'm not sure when we will find out for sure though.

I wonder, do you end up with your whole team coming during summer if the hours are changed so much?

Here in Australia we don't really have "summer" the kids get 6 weeks off school in december/january. But thats it. They also get a 3 one to two week breaks during the year. So during holidays we keep their training to the same schedule as during the school year.

But do you find that with parents working and other committments the kids can't always make the day training.

It is not official yet but DD is a new L5 and the hours are supposed to be M-Thur 4:30-8:30pm

Not too happy with this but getting used to always getting the crappy schedule. Gym seems to cater to the older girls and the soon to be new L6's who will also get to work out with the Optionals. Would have been nice to have one or two of those as day times since DD does dive team...it's really going to mess us up this summer with dive meets being in the evening. Our new gym doesn't have air conditioning either...can't wait to see how hot it gets in there!

At our gym we do not have a summer schedule it only changes when you change levels which my dd will be a L5 so once they are finished with l4 season another day will be added.

We just received our summer schedule the optional girls will be there 4 days a week the parents were hoping M-Th with Fri sat and sun off but we got M,W, Th and F from 8:30 am - 12:30 pm They will have T, Sat and Sun off for now. When the Choreographer comes in August then the Tues will be used to work with her by appointment.

Dd is level 8, training 9, who knows what she will end up being. Her summer schedule is M-Th 2-6pm - HC/O doesn't want the team in while the Rec classes are there in the mornings, so we are the afternoon/evenings, which in actuality is good so they will have the whole gym to work with - and then on Friday's 9-12.

So your gym doesn't do rec classes in the evenings in the summer? Ours has rec classes pretty much all day long, but fewer in the mornings when team is there--there is preschool there, but that's about it.

My dd's schedule will be five days - M-F, but not entirely sure whether we'll be mornings or afternoons. I am hoping for mornings but not too early. 9-1 would be great. We won't know until the end of the summer whether she is going to L6 or will be repeating L5 - the get the summer to get their skills.

Meg

At our gym the whole team trains 5 days a week 9:00am-2:00pm during the summer, regardless of level. My little DD will be a 4 and older DD will be training level 8.

At our gym the whole team trains 5 days a week 9:00am-2:00pm during the summer, regardless of level. My little DD will be a 4 and older DD will be training level 8.

:eek::eek::eek: Wow. I can't imagine my DD doing that. That seems a bit much for me, but I know that everyone has their limits. I can see that for optionals, but not for compulsories.

:eek::eek::eek: Wow. I can't imagine my DD doing that. That seems a bit much for me, but I know that everyone has their limits. I can see that for optionals, but not for compulsories.

You know, before starting to read the Chalk Bucket I really had no idea how other gyms do things and it seemed normal to me that the whole team trains together during the summer (we have a small team - around 30 girls and 3 team coaches). Now I see other options. On the other hand, I find that if my little one (7 years old, about to join the team May 1st) had fewer hours during the summer she would be too bored with the rest of the time. It also works great for me because my older one (10 years old training level 8) will have the same hours, which means less driving back and forth and being able to do things together after gym.

My older DD was about the same age going into level 5 and had no problems dealing with the amount of hours in the summer, so hopefully little DD will be the same way....

I know that they do classes and camp in the morning and I think that they have night classes, like 6:30 and on, but they do not have classes in the afternoon when they plan to have team there.

It will actually be quite nice for the team girls to have the whole floor everyday in the summer time rather than working around classes or camp.

So your gym doesn't do rec classes in the evenings in the summer? Ours has rec classes pretty much all day long, but fewer in the mornings when team is there--there is preschool there, but that's about it.

We just got our summer schedule also. DD will have surfing twice a week, water skiing and wake boarding 3 times a week and play dates, sleepovers and swimming in the pool on weekends. We're all getting a little burned out with gymnastics and can't wait for the summer to begin.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back