NCAA Suni leaving, for real this time

GYMNASTICS
Parents... Coaches... Judges... Gymnasts...
DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members See FEWER Ads!
Join for FREE!

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
Aug 7, 2018
She just announced on a slick instagram video with cool music and video clips that this is her last year. Idk, I have no inside Auburn information, but I would speculate that there are mixed emotions around the Auburn team inner circle. On one hand she brought a lot of attention to Auburn gymnastics and the team benefited from the scoring bump of having her on the squad. On the other hand, she appeared to be a bit high maintenance, sucking all the attention from her teammates and was really only an above-average college gymnast with nothing to show in her brief college career. I know this is an unpopular opinion (put it in the other thread lol) but I almost wonder why she even went to Auburn. It will be interesting to see what Jordan and Jade do, both seemed to be more integrated to their teams and college.

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
Dec 22, 2016
Virginia
I am sure before the Olympics she could not have forseen her popularity and I am sure that impacted her overall collegiate experience. I can see why she still wanted to try college, but like non athletes the college experience is not for everyone. I think the program will get a lot more out of it than they "lose" and I am not sure she took any shine away from other gymnasts in the program. I bet all their profiles have been raised by proximity. Also it seems to have helped their recruiting so I would say maybe they are losing an "above average" college gymnast but it seems like they are getting a strong recruiting class because of it so win win?

Pineapple_Lump

Coach
Judge
Jan 31, 2008
I am sure I saw somewhere an interview/article that went into how she wasn't really able to enjoy the college experience because of the attention (not all positive) from her unexpected fame. I know the College experience (student athlete or not) is a big thing in the US and I am sure for many it is not what it is hyped up to be. That could be difficult for a young lady with many competing priorities.

Reactions: skygirlpc