NCAA Suni leaving, for real this time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
She just announced on a slick instagram video with cool music and video clips that this is her last year. Idk, I have no inside Auburn information, but I would speculate that there are mixed emotions around the Auburn team inner circle. On one hand she brought a lot of attention to Auburn gymnastics and the team benefited from the scoring bump of having her on the squad. On the other hand, she appeared to be a bit high maintenance, sucking all the attention from her teammates and was really only an above-average college gymnast with nothing to show in her brief college career. I know this is an unpopular opinion (put it in the other thread lol) but I almost wonder why she even went to Auburn. It will be interesting to see what Jordan and Jade do, both seemed to be more integrated to their teams and college.

I am sure before the Olympics she could not have forseen her popularity and I am sure that impacted her overall collegiate experience. I can see why she still wanted to try college, but like non athletes the college experience is not for everyone. I think the program will get a lot more out of it than they "lose" and I am not sure she took any shine away from other gymnasts in the program. I bet all their profiles have been raised by proximity. Also it seems to have helped their recruiting so I would say maybe they are losing an "above average" college gymnast but it seems like they are getting a strong recruiting class because of it so win win?

I am sure I saw somewhere an interview/article that went into how she wasn't really able to enjoy the college experience because of the attention (not all positive) from her unexpected fame. I know the College experience (student athlete or not) is a big thing in the US and I am sure for many it is not what it is hyped up to be. That could be difficult for a young lady with many competing priorities.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back