Parents Super Skinny Gymmie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have particular issues with our gymnast - lots of food intolerances and a food allergy.
She also advised that we should give her pure glucose tablets for training - she usually has one before and one or two during.

We have a similar situation. Fun, isn't it (not).

Where do you get glucose tablets? Pharmacies?
We've been using golden syrup. Jelly beans etc have colourings and flavorings that do nasty things to the kidlet and barley sugar takes too long to eat.

COz, we buy Glucodin (pure glucose tablets) from Woolworths. I haven't found them in Coles. I think you can also get them at pharmacies. Good luck!

Reactions: COz
I am late to this thread but my 9 year old is like this. She's so tiny and skinny. She has had the HARDEST time on vault. Her coach kept telling her she needs to eat some steak (She's a vegetarian, LOL!) for her scores to go up. She just weighed too little to have the power for a good vault. Well this year she is 53lbs and she is FINALLY scoring just under 9.0 on vault this year. It really messed up her AA to have the 7's and 8's on vault but her coach wasn't concerned. He kept telling us once she gained weight her scores would go up. They did! It's sad b/c she's the same size as the 7 year olds but in the long run for gym it will be good right?? Since she's a vegetarian we load her up with greek yogurt. She LOVES it!

There's some great advice here, thanks! I am new here and found this site because I was searching for advice on this exact topic. I have a Level 4 boy who just turned 8 and weighs 45 lbs. He is also having trouble on vault and we are trying to help him gain just a little more weight. We do protein shakes and Luna protein bars before and during practice (~10 hours/week) but he is picky and it's hard to get him to eat much at regular mealtimes. I will definitely be trying the Greek yogurt pancake idea for breakfast!

All of my kids are like that... but my gymmie is ridiculously thin. Nothing but muscle, and you can see her 6 (8, actually) pack, just standing there, but even flexing. She is 9 and barely 45 pounds. We already do full fat dairy, and she totally needs to eat more, but just won't. I don't know how she keeps going on 16 hours a week, with add little as she eats :(
I try to get her to eat extras, but can't push fun things like ice cream and smoothies, without the other 7 kids wondering where theirs are... and I am not giving it to all of them :p

I just looked up Three's percentages, and she is less than 3rd percentile for height and weight. At least she is consistent :p
That said, she is actually quite powerful on vault, despite being probably the lightest optional on the team. She isn't flexible, but a combination of strong and lightweight apparently is good for something :p

Dd is under the 5 th percentile for height and under the 3 rd for weight but her muscle definition is crazy!

The thing I love about gym is that there she's the muscley one when at school swimming carnivals she's the uber skinny one!:D

Well my super skinny gymmie was sick over the holidays so became an even skinnier little gymmie, lol. It's very typcial for her, when she's not feeling well she has no interest in food so we let her survive on spoonfuls of peanut butter and chocolate milk, just so she'd agree to put something in her belly. She started to feel better a couple of days ago and began eating again. She's back at the gym tonight so I'm hoping the added activity will help get her motivation and appetite back to normal.

Sigh. I have 3 of those, including my husband. ODS is 6'3" and 120 lbs dripping wet. Try finding jeans that are 28/36! LOL. YDS (gymnast) is not quite as thin, but definitely has that lanky shape (can you be short and lanky?) DH is like 5'11" and 140. SO my whole life is making sure that the 3 of them get enough calories.
Please tell me where you found those jeans? My son is only 5'9 but wears a 28/34 pants. He has longer legs than my dh who is taller than him. So far I have only been able to find 28/32 (with lots of looking) and he just wears them a little low and they are too short.

American Eagle Online...or I have 4 pair sitting in my basement ;)

Well my super skinny gymmie was sick over the holidays so became an even skinnier little gymmie, lol. It's very typcial for her, when she's not feeling well she has no interest in food so we let her survive on spoonfuls of peanut butter and chocolate milk, just so she'd agree to put something in her belly. She started to feel better a couple of days ago and began eating again. She's back at the gym tonight so I'm hoping the added activity will help get her motivation and appetite back to normal.

Try her on porridge with some honey added, light enough for a delicate, recovering stomach but has enough nutrients to keep her going.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back