Parents Survived 1st Level 8 Meet (Practice Meet)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We survived our 1st level 8 meet yesterday. DD is a 1st year 11 year old level 8. It was an in-house practice meet, and the judges gave critiques to each girl after her routine. Very informative!

9.050 on floor. Was told to not hesitate so long before & after tumbling passes (?) and to point her toes. (I tell her this all the time, but hearing it from a judge made it a revelation to her somehow.) :rolleyes:

8.500 on beam. Almost fell on full turn, and no connection given between BHS-BHS series.

8.225 vault. Competed front handspring vault. Has been practicing tuck-tsuk, but coach isn't ready to let her "throw" it just yet. Maybe by the 2nd meet of the season...that's the plan as of now; however, it changes weekly. :)

8.45 bars. I was beyond proud! It was the first "complete" routine I've seen, as she really struggles with the 1/2 pirouette. I think she was so relieved to get the pirouette over with, she kind of relaxed the rest of the routine, and her form wasn't the greatest. Lots of room to improve, but we will definitely take it.

34.225 AA. Much better than we anticipated! Can't wait until the 1st real meet! She was literally chomping at the bit to get to the gym to work on her routines and make the corrections the judges suggested.

Here we go!!!!

Glad she listened to the judge and is taking the comments to heart. Can't wait for her first "real" meet--will you be posting video from that? (I love watching routines!)

I'll have to do that. Heck...this is the first meet report I've ever posted! I was just so proud I had to share! I love this website...no one else really understands this sport and the trials and tribulations that go along with it!

She had a great first meet! My DD is also 11 and is currently competing L5. (she started team gymnastics at 9)

and to point her toes. (I tell her this all the time, but hearing it from a judge made it a revelation to her somehow.) :rolleyes:

Funny how that is! My DD is the same way...if I say it it can't be so BUT if a coach tells her then all of a sudden she is like, huh, I didn't know I did that! WHAT!!!

Great start... You will hear others say that L8 isn't much different than L7 and skill-wise they are right (with the exception of vault), but let me tell you L8 is all about form and hitting those HSs on bars. Tell your dd to keep working on perfecting her skills, sounds like she has everything as she continues to polish her routines, her scores will go up.

One last thing - an awesome HS, which she isn't that bad based on her score will score better than a chucked Tsuk or Yurchenko. Don't be surprised if her score is not much better than her HS score once she starts doing her Tsuk. In the end the Tsuk should outscore a HS, but it is not always the case.

Good luck to your dd this season!

Thanks for the advice on vault. I guess we're conditioned to think if they aren't doing a "flipping" vault, then it isn't good enough! She did not stick the landings on her handspring vaults, because she really hasn't practiced them since level 7 season ended, so she is capable of a higher score on that vault.

It takes a 34 AA to qualify for regionals in Region 5. We're just relieved she is capable of that already...kind of takes the pressure off!

My dd is doing a yami full and not sticking/underrotating and still getting 8's on vault while continuing to work the tsuk. It seems a lot tougher to get the connection value on level 8 beam- dd is thisclose but hasn't been awarded the score yet. I echo that the HS is everything on bars- we're seeing a lot of form deductions.

Congrats to your DD- she is doing great! We've had two meets and aren't quite there yet but she started level 8 "early" and is prepared to struggle this season. Doing better than expected and making lots of quick progress.:)

Last edited:
That sounds like an awesome start! My dd is doing her 1st L8 meet in a week and a half. Sounds similar to your DD. Not sure which vault she is doing. This meet has a soft landing for vault. So she may try the tsuk. (she never had a really stong FHS vault) She is also struggling with the connection on beam. And as usual, I just keep my fingers crossed on bars.

Good luck at your meet!

I agree, it is hard to get the connection value on beam. She keeps moving in between, but obviously the judges aren't easily fooled! LOL

Sounds like a really great first Level 8 meet! How awesome to get feedback from the judges and concrete things she knows she needs to work on. I hope that the connection on beam comes soon, as well as the vault. I have serious doubts that my kid will ever be able to flip a vault!

Megley...don't count her out! My daughter's vault scores in Level 4 averaged 4.5 - 6.0. She NEVER won anything in compulsory and really took off in Level 7. You just never know! Luckily, she had a coach that saw SOMETHING in her and let her keep going.

While watching some old footage of her level 4 & 5 routines, she actually said, "I'm surprised you let me stay in this sport. I was so awful." I told her I didn't care how she did, I just liked seeing her happy. This will be her 6th year of competition, and I still try to live by that!

Thanks for the encouragement! My dd was not a particularly great compulsory. This is her first year of Level 7 so hoping that it will get better as we go along. Vault is just not her strong suit. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back