Sweaty feet and hands. BAD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Okay my DD turned 6 about 6 wks ago. She has always had sweaty feet, but over the years it has just progressed. To the point now, when she gets home from school and takes off her shoes and socks..her socks are soaked through and she will leave little wet foot prints the first few steps she takes. If he feet arent in shoes/sandles..ect they dont seem so bad.

But her hands are always wet. She will hold onto my hand in parking lots and such and when she lets go, I can see the sweat on my hand from hers.

Her hands used to never be bad at all until probably the last 6 months or so. Just about any time of day, no matter what she is doing, you can ask her to turn her hands over and you can see the sweat..you dont even have to feel her hands to know they are bad.

She doesnt seem to have any problems gym wise so far with this. But I did notice a few weeks ago when she wanted to show me her mill circle that when she did her back hip circle, her shoot through, then turned her hands to do her mill circle..there were perfect wet finger prints on the bar. (and she chalked up before she got on). You can't miss this, so Im sure her coaches are well aware and have never expressed and concern.

I know it isnt an issue now. Or her coaches would have said something about it. Im just wondering if this is normal for a kid her age? (she is my first born..so this is a learning process for me..lol). My son doesnt have either issue..and Kadee had sweaty sweaty feet by his age.

Could this be just because her body itself is going through changes? She has lost her "kid" belly (pretty much..lol), really toned up, and her posture has improved alot (although not perfect yet)? Lets just say she doesnt look so much like Kermit the Frog anymore. Maybe her body is changing so quick on her that its just gone haywire for a bit? Or possibly hyperhydrosis (which her dad and half sister have)?

Like I said, it's not an issue yet..although disturbing at times..lol. Im not looking for a diagnosis. If and when it becomes and issue for her I will get her to the doctor. Im just wondering if this is an issue that is common in an athlete that uses their hands alot? Maybe because they use their hands so much, they are just extra sensitive?

Anyone else have experience with this?

A friend and I were talking about this a few weeks back, her DD has terrible sweaty hands and feet. She bought a product called Drysol that is supposed to work very well. Put it on hands and feet at bed time and wash it off in the morning, the effect is supposed to build up over time.

Mine just complained of incredibly dry hands from all the chalk. After four months out of the gym that complaint has gone away.

Some kids have this issue, some do not. It is not a "gymnast" thing as far as I know.

But if you look at the bottom of this thread you will see the "similar threads" box. It seems full of sweaty hands and feet threads, so maybe it is a gymnast thing!

Thank you. I did read those, and saw that the drysol was something mentioned more than once..but it was also said it had to be prescribed here in the States.
Im not really looking for anything to do about it yet. If I act too soon, then when she really needs something (it's becoming an issue in the gym) then I would have less places to go with it..lol
I was just wondering if its a normal little kid thing, or possibly had something to do with her using her hands as much as she does, and getting those sweat glands stired up..lol.

My gymmie has had the sweaty hand and feet thing for as long as I can remember. She uses Drysol for gym, but she also got very self conscious about it in middle school and was emabarassed to lend someone a pencil because it would be damp. The Drysol has worked very well for her. The only reason its a prescription here in the US is the high % of aluminum chloride. A doc might be a little reluctant to prescribe it for a 6yo due to skin irritation.
What I have noticed is that as my gymmie has gone through puberty, the wet hands/feet have decreased quite a bit.

My 6 year old is the same way. However, it is starting to be a problem with gym. When she is on beam a long time her feet start to sweat and she will slip sometimes. She was starting to get rips on her hands so her coach told her to tape them. Well the tape will not stick to her sweaty little hands. Sometimes she puts chalk on her feet when she does beam.

Monique

It DOES sound like hyperhidrosis..... esp. with the amount of sweat you're describing. The condition DOES mainly affect the palms and feet. One of my sons has this condition. Have you had her evaluated by a Dr. yet?

Thank you everyone. I have a feeling it is hyperhidrosis but Im not certain as I have never even mentioned it to a doctor. Like I said up until about 6 months or so ago, she didnt really have the whole hand thing..at least not bad, like it is now. The next time I have to take her to the doctor for something (unless it becomes a safty issue before) I will def ask him to look at her hands and feet. Maybe even get a little video clip of her chalking up, doing two skills on the bar and her hands already sweating enough to leave visable finger marks. So he can see just how extreme it is. (because the way things work in my world..i would take her in there for that and they wouldnt be bad that day..lol) The Drysol is def. something I will check into as she gets older and starts doing bigger skills and it could start being a danger to her with her hands so wet all the time.
Again, thank you everyone

Once the kids reach puberty, then the hyperhidrosis tends to affect the sweat glads in the armpits a lot more too.... that can be socially debilitating! At least there ARE treatments available for that area.... surprisingly, Botox can be used in the underarm area, but it not as successful w/feet and hands. There is a simple surgery that can work for the hands tho.... my son has checked that out, but has decided not to proceed with it just yet.

If hyperhidrosis runs in the family it is a strong possibility. Neat Feat make products that may help.

My dd is really liking the Drysol, but if all else fails you can always get your dd Beam Shoes. They used to very popular. My dd used to have a teammate that wore beam shoes due to sweaty feet. She would never go without them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back