WAG switch leap at what level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My USA-Gymnastics Tactics: I have several of my L5's competing the switch leap this 2014 season. (It substitutes for the split leap and you can take an extra step into the leap). Great up-training opportunity. L6's have it as a regular part of their training. We will see which athletes keep the switch leap or perform a split leap. Perfect (or nearly flawless) execution is the determining factor for the L5-6''s. L7's I ask to work the switch leap as they have had several years of work on the skill. For me L8's perform a switch leap or switch jump on BB, as we are preparing for that skill to link to other difficult jump/leaps for L9-10. By L8 they certainly have it available for choreography in their FX routines.

The switch leap/jump in our gym and many of the gyms surrounding us is an important building skill and keystone to advanced skills and advanced combinations.

Best, SBG -

My USA-Gymnastics Tactics: I have several of my L5's competing the switch leap this 2014 season. (It substitutes for the split leap and you can take an extra step into the leap). Great up-training opportunity. L6's have it as a regular part of their training. We will see which athletes keep the switch leap or perform a split leap. Perfect (or nearly flawless) execution is the determining factor for the L5-6''s. L7's I ask to work the switch leap as they have had several years of work on the skill. For me L8's perform a switch leap or switch jump on BB, as we are preparing for that skill to link to other difficult jump/leaps for L9-10. By L8 they certainly have it available for choreography in their FX routines.

The switch leap/jump in our gym and many of the gyms surrounding us is an important building skill and keystone to advanced skills and advanced combinations.

Best, SBG -

Thanks a lot!!

If you have split leap, split jump, switch leap, sissone, straddle jump and side leap...which is the hardest? and which is the easiest?

Thanks a lot!!
If you have split leap, split jump, switch leap, sissone, straddle jump and side leap...which is the hardest? and which is the easiest?

I hope others chime in - as I am wearing my coach hat this evening. I do not think of easiest. A switch is building skill to advanced leaps/jumps and combos. The sissone, straddle and other shapes are all basic leap/jumps in the USA-G dance code.

SBG -

The original poster is from Austria so the time when they are introduced will be different to the US. Do we have anyone on board who knows anything about the Austrian gymnastics system.

In Australia it has changed significantly, it used to be level 4 when a split leap could be introduced on floor for bonus and also for a brief period it was level
4 on beam too. In our current system it can be introduced as a bonus skill on both beam and floor in level 5.

Under the new system it will not be able to be done until level 6 on floor and level 7 on beam.

In Australia it can be done in level 5 as a bonus.
Level 8 on beam as a bonus.

The original poster is from Austria so the time when they are introduced will be different to the US. Do we have anyone on board who knows anything about the Austrian gymnastics system.

thanks so much for noticing that! But I was interested in the USAG system, so my question is answered! Thank you!

Currently it is available as a bonus in level 5 in Australia in the national stream. It can be done instead of the split leap.

Under the new system next year it will be able to be don in the beam leap series which won't be introduced until level 7, but few people will do it before level 9 as it will carry no bonus.

Very interesting. I always competed split change on both floor and beam from level 6 onwards (late 90's early 2000s) as they were better than my normal split leaps! They still are and I don't train either. That little bit of extra power from the swing makes a whole lot of difference :)

I agree with you MissLisa, I too always found change leg leaps easier than split leaps. But with the leap series you will find the most common combination will be split jump wolf jump to split leaps wolf jump as there are no bonus skills.

DD competed it starting L7 floor. And L8 floor and beam. She didn't compete L6 so I don't know about that level.

Our gym has all Level 5's compete them. I didn't realize they didn't have to until I read this post. :)

My daughter was JUST talking about these today! I had no idea what she was talking about so she 'attempted' to show me... needless to say, I still don't know what they are but am about to YouTube them. ;)

Our gym does it in level 6 and 7 for floor and can be done on beam in level 7 I believe... if it is a B which I am not sure of. If it's a C on beam then level 8. You also have the option of competing a switch leap in level 5 but my gym doesn't compete it until optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back