Coaches Switch leap with turns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
My oh my...

I have been to a couple coach clinics lately but it was more disturbing than helping :

The hurdle front leg : bend or not bend , when yes how knee high up or leg bent to back ....

Backhandspring: because of the spring floor : short and high not long anymore

For layout coming from backhandspring trying to land straight because of the springs in the floor ...

Switch leap ... Wrong leg right leg for 1/2 turn full turn ...

Can you describe how YOU think a hurdle, a backhandspring for twisting and the switch leap half and full has to look like ? What to do with the arms , when to twist hip and shoulder ...

These clinics were wow... 4 coaches 4 different opinions... coming from 3 different countries ...

Here's a skill breakdown of the switch leap 1/2 I made a while ago because I had to teach it to someone on beam.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1454285376.440334.jpg

Here are some key points:
- Swing leg should be at its highest point when the push foot leaves the beam. A lot of problems occur due to a slow and weak push from the bottom foot. Watch for swing leg coming down as push foot is leaving the beam.
- The arms need to be swinging and working with the legs. When bottom foot pushes and swing leg is up the arms should be out to the side (Tammy Biggs calls it "jumping jack arms") and torso and head slightly turned in the direction of twist so that opposite arm of swinging leg is directly over that leg. I'm a beam coach so I would want to see the arms in line with the top of the beam and head spotting the end of the beam.
- From there the swinging leg quickly drives downward to meet the pushing leg—THIS is where the turn happens. The body should be in a straight line with the head spotting the direction of twist (wherever the head goes, the body follows). Problems occur here when the gymnast doesn't turn when the body is straight or the gymnast isn't spotting before she starts the turn (doesn't finish the turn).
- The gymnast completes the 1/2 turn and then splits. I haven't taught anyone a switch leap full on beam but it is important to emphasize a fast and quick close/snap of the legs after the split so she could then get the second 1/2 turn around.
- A fun learning activity that teaches the importance of a fast leg close out of a split is for a gymnast to hang from one of the men's still rings in a straddle (not a split but the principle is the same). Have her slowly close her legs and take notice of how fast she spins. Then have her close her legs as fast as she can and she will find that the faster she snaps her legs together the faster the spins. This knowledge can then be applied to the second half of the switch leap 1/1.

I hope this helps some with the switch leap issue!

- Nicki

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back