Switch leaps on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastics.monkey

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advise about switch leaps on beam. I need this skill to compete the next level and its not progressing as I hoped it would. I do them on both the low and the high beam with the pad/beam extender and I have no problem with them. Only when I take off the pad am I scared to go. I fell like if I go for it, then I might jump a little to the side and my feet will miss the beam. Can you help me?

When I first started switch leaps, I was really afraid of missing the beam too. What helped me was doing a lot of assomble (sp) immediate sissone and small switch leapson both low and high, and full switch leaps on the low beam with panel mats even with it. Then you just have to go for it on low - even if you miss the beam, the floor is only a few inches away - and get comfortable with it there before you go for a full split on high. HTH!

Switch leaps on beam are... complicated, atleast for me they were. I could run across the beam completely ready and stop dead, sometimes just a tiny step wrong would mess me up. Stepping is essential for me so i can balk 5 times and then land 10 at 180, i found its just something you have to go for 100% you cant go half way.

Thanks so much. My coach says the exact same thing that I have to go for it 100% and not halfway. I'll certainly try both of your suggestions tonight at practice :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back