Parents switch or no switch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jessimee

Proud Parent
My 10 year old wants to switch gyms so that she can be on a JO team. She just finished competing her first season as an Xcel silver. She is very driven in that she is required to practice 6 hours a week, and she religiously attends an optional extra 6 hours. She says she wants to go to JO because she wants the extra conditioning they get so that she can do her skills properly. JO is not an option at her current gym because she is too old and doesn't have the body type that they are looking for (she is tall and skinny). She has level 4 skills, but not the conditioning/strength to execute them perfectly. She tried a level 3 practice at another gym last night and said she liked it and wants to switch. It looked like a whole different world to me--she is the tallest girl in the group (there are two others her age but they are shorter), most of the girls are very young and were actually rather rowdy, which would NOT have been allowed, even in the Xcel practice at her current gym. They spent more time conditioning and less time on skills. I realize this is to be expected coming from Xcel to JO but I worry that she will lose skills--she has a nice kip, for example, that took a lot of work to get, so it would hurt to lose it due to lack of practice. JO3 at the new gym would only be 8 hours week when she is used to 12, however 6 of those current 12 involve minimal supervision/coaching, as they are "extra" practice. Another thing that made me go "hmmm" was when the coach at the gym where she was trying out came over to introduce himself, he said, "You can relax, this is not (insert gym we are coming from)". I feel like as a parent, I should be driving this bus and making the decision, not her, but I really feel that she's the one spending all the time there and her gymnastics goals belong to her, not me, so she should have some say. One worry I have is that if she gives up skills to go back to 3 for conditioning, she will have a harder time getting those skills back later due to fears. Any thoughts?

Is the gym where she tried out the only option for JO in your area or could she try another local team that might be a better fit?

Is the gym where she tried out the only option for JO in your area or could she try another local team that might be a better fit?
It's really the only option I'm willing to consider. The others are too far away.

I agree with @RTT. If JO is what she really wants and this is the only option, I would give it a try. She can always switch back to Xcel, but the older she gets, the harder it will be for her to transition to JO.
And don't worry about the skills. With the right conditioning and proper technique the skills will come back easily.

Another thing that made me go "hmmm" was when the coach at the gym where she was trying out came over to introduce himself, he said, "You can relax, this is not (insert gym we are coming from)".
The coach might have said this to you because it sounds like your current gym is pretty intense (based on your statement that your dd is not allowed into the JO program because she is "too old" and "not the right body type"). I would imagine if they regularly eliminate girls from their JO program based on those two things, then they probably have a reputation among the other gyms in the area. I wouldn't take that comment to be a bad thing.

Has this gym told you that the level 3s don't work on kips or other uptraining? Most level 3 teams that I've encountered spend a lot of time working kips because it's one of the hardest skills to get and they really can't progress without it. It's possible she'll appear to "lose" a skill or two because she's being taught to do them with correct form, but that isn't the same as actually losing them through lack of practice. Once the new strength training kicks in she'll probably find that these skills come more easily to her than ever. Also keep in mind that fewer, higher quality hours is better. It's a work smarter not harder type of thing and it might free up some time for her to try another activity.

I would go for it. With her being 10, you don’t want to wait any longer to switch to JO if that’s what she wants. The conditioning will help those skills come easily and they will look good when she gets them. We have lots of high level optionals at our gym that were 9 and 10 years old in level 3.

Has this gym told you that the level 3s don't work on kips or other uptraining? Most level 3 teams that I've encountered spend a lot of time working kips because it's one of the hardest skills to get and they really can't progress without it. It's possible she'll appear to "lose" a skill or two because she's being taught to do them with correct form, but that isn't the same as actually losing them through lack of practice. Once the new strength training kicks in she'll probably find that these skills come more easily to her than ever. Also keep in mind that fewer, higher quality hours is better. It's a work smarter not harder type of thing and it might free up some time for her to try another activity.
Also, if the gym allows it, Level 3s can COMPETE the kip. We have a couple girls that might compete it at our meet at the end of the month.
And... would the new gym be willing to evaluate her for Level 4 ... or allow her to practice with the 4s if there are times they dont overlap with the 3s?

Conditioning is necessary to get skills. So I would not worry if the new gym seems to be doing more conditioning than skills. Additionally, it is the summer. Most gyms concentrate on conditioning than skills. As meet season approaches, it switches a bit and concentration may be more on skills. I worry more if a gym does very little conditioning.

As far as practice time, she is technically increasing her practice hours by two hours. So, that would make a difference. The 6 unsupervised practice is likely not helping her gymnastics much; perhaps helping with fitness if anything.

You might want to speak with her current coach. Express how badly your daughter wants to do JO that she wants to try it another gym. I’d try to keep her options open with the current gym just in case she wants to go back. You might want to also speak with the new coach about placement procedures and his assessment of your daughter’s abilities. Ask as many questions as you want so that you can make an informed decision.

Thank you all. Made the switch last night and feel good about it. I'm learning not all gyms are the same. I met with the HC and owner of the new gym to get the obligatory "This is not Xcel, this is JO, we have strict attendance requirements" lecture :) but it was done in such a nice way compared to what I'm used to at the old gym, I was pleasantly surprised. New gym is willing to take my money and help my daughter achieve HER goals.

Can you talk to current gym about her starting at level 4, rather than level 3? She would likely be with girls more her age and it could be a more serious/mature group. Before committing to the switch I would talk to them about that. And let them know upfront that your dd wants a serious program and definitely wants more hours than 8.

As summer training has just begun is she working with the L3 kids who were L2 now 3s or L3s who will be competing L4 in the upcoming season?

Its summer the level they are is not necessarily going to be their level in the upcoming season.

And for those who say talk to the old gym about JO (moot point as she switched), clearly they have a model for who gets to do JO at the gym, young and tiny, and this child is not it. Yep time to move on to a gym that will give a taller older kid her shot.

As summer training has just begun is she working with the L3 kids who were L2 now 3s or L3s who will be competing L4 in the upcoming season?

Its summer the level they are is not necessarily going to be their level in the upcoming season.

And for those who say talk to the old gym about JO (moot point as she switched), clearly they have a model for who gets to do JO at the gym, young and tiny, and this child is not it. Yep time to move on to a gym that will give a taller older kid her shot.

I never thought to ask about level 4--I didn't want to step on coach toes. I figured they'd put her where she belonged, but they didn't really ask to see any of her Gold skills (she competed Silver but has been up-training and has kip, FHS vault, and some others--back tuck?). Should I ask? I didn't ask about where the other kids are on the new team...one of the other 10 year olds left early to go to the team banquet for those who had competed past season so she must have competed 3. HC said he was comfortable taking her because there are two other girls her age so I assume they are staying for the next season. And I did ask one JO coach (HC, I think) at old gym about JO there. They took one look at her on the beam from across the gym and asked her age and said, "no".

When my daughter was being considered to move over to JO from Xcel (she did move over and has thrived since the move!), I came in with a list of all the skills she had worked on that her coaches hadn't seen her do yet. I figured it was helpful information for them to have when considering where to place her. Nobody acted as though I'd stepped on any toes and it's worked out pretty well.

It sounds like a really supportive gym and she might be with 3s moving to 4 after the summer. I bet she'll end up right where she belongs- enjoy this new journey!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back