WAG Switch to Tumbling or keep doing gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So for the past few weeks I’ve been thinking (thinking, not really considering) about switching to trampoline and tumbling in March or April. I really, really love gymnastics but only bars and floor. Vault, for me, is kind of ‘meh’ and if all the beams in the world burnt down I wouldn’t shed a tear ( not a huge fan of beam). At the same time, my love of bars might keep me to gymnastics, but floor is what I enjoy most, as well as when we practice on the trampoline.

Would it be right to transition to trampoline and tumbling given the skills I currently have on floor, or should I do more gymnastics first?

Here are my floor skills:

A variety of rolls
Cartwheel
Handstand
Really close to an aerial
Front handspring
Back walkover
Front limber

As you can see, it’s not a lot. I’m just really confused, since bars is amazing but if I switched to tumbling then I wouldn’t have to deal with beam or vault, plus focusing only on tumbling would be amazing.
I’m so conflicted!

What is it about beam that you don't like? Beam is basically floor, two levels below your floor skills, performed on a very narrow strip.
The very fact it’s performed on a narrow strip. For now I can only do cartwheels and kicks on beam so I find it quite monotonous. I’m probably biased since I’ve gotten hurt in beam a lot though, and since the gym I go to is recreational they let us ditch beam sometimes and we go to floor or vault because basically every kid hates beam there…..

I think ideally, choices like this work out best if they are less about avoiding the thing a person hates and more about pursuing what the person loves- or loves more. Maybe before you make a decision to switch, you can find a way to work a bit with a T and T coach and explore more deeply how you feel about the sport.

I think ideally, choices like this work out best if they are less about avoiding the thing a person hates and more about pursuing what the person loves- or loves more. Maybe before you make a decision to switch, you can find a way to work a bit with a T and T coach and explore more deeply how you feel about the sport.
Well I definitely love tumbling- and I definitely don’t DETEST beam and vault, but doing floor is what I really love. I was going to ask my coach, but we’re snowed in and it’s not very safe to drive to gym so I turned to chalk bucket lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back