Parents Switched gyms... It is so weird...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tooootsie

Proud Parent
We have been going to the same gym for 5 years and had to make the sad decision to switch. It feels like a divorce or something. We don't really know anyone at the new gym but it is so much closer and tuition is a little cheaper. They are also offering my oldest DD to make l4 or l3 team in the spring which it was going to take another year and a half for her at our other gym. So she is very excited. it just feels so weird.

That makes me feel more confident about my choice. I just feel bad because well you know.. being there for so long. My girls grew up there. But my daughters seem very happy at the new gym so far. And I am pleased that the new gym is getting them to team quicker. Now if that doesn't happen the way they stated... I may re-think my decision then LOL

It is definitely not easy. Our situation was a little different because we were switching to a gym that was just opening, so everybody was new. Most people there had come from the same gym (not the gym we came from) but even so, everybody was on pretty equal footing. I was so fed up with the old gym that I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I have since learned that no gym is perfect, no matter how much you might wish it to be so, but still, it was a good switch and I'm glad we did it. DD made new "best friends" in about 30 seconds. Getting used to the increased hours and intense conditioning was the biggest transition for her. Hardly ever getting to see my daughter Mon-Fri, and not being allowed to watch practices, and not being angry all the time were the biggest transitions for me.

We are going the same hours per week, and tuition is a little less. We were driving 45 mins there and back from old gym. this is a 10 min drive. Youngest DD's developmental team was going away because they didn't have enough kids and she was going to be in rec. that was actually why I called around. Had we switched a month ago my oldest DD would have been placed on level 3 team. But now it is too late and season starts too soon. She has all the skills. Oh well.

As the others have said, just give it time. It took a good 6 months for DD to really adjust. The outcome has been fantastic though and we only wish we moved a year earlier. It was a hard change for me as well because I had lots of friends at the old gym. Try to get involved in whatever parent organization the new gym may have. Meet season was really when I got to know the parents better and DD bonded even more with the new girls. I'm sure you'll look back in a year and smile.

Hopefully you won't feel like newbies for long. Maybe dd can go and support her new team anyway. She will be competing before you know it Im sure. Hope she is enjoying her new coaches and team-mates

We switched gyms last season and I felt the same way. All the parents all knew each other and had little pocket of friends. At first I sat back and observed the parents. I wanted to make some nice friendships and I didn't want to get caught up with the gym gossipers. I am a really outgoing person so I just kept talking to people, introducing myself and eventually I got to a comfortable place. The gymnasts were awesome and welcomed her with open arms immediately. Some really nice kids. For me some of the parents took a bit of time but those that I wanted to know I got to know. Good luck.

kat

We have been going to the same gym for 5 years and had to make the sad decision to switch. It feels like a divorce or something. We don't really know anyone at the new gym but it is so much closer and tuition is a little cheaper. They are also offering my oldest DD to make l4 or l3 team in the spring which it was going to take another year and a half for her at our other gym. So she is very excited. it just feels so weird.

We changed gyms a few weeks ago, and while I don't feel 'at home' yet DD is making huge strides and I am making some new gym mom friends. I still miss my old friends but I know made the right choice

We did a gym switch after State last year and it was the best decision we ever made. I agree with Kitkat, sit back and watch and listen before you start to befriend anyone. That has been our philosophy, and so far,we have avoided most of the CGMs and CGDs. Our other friends have not been as successful. They were outgoing and friendly and made some friends that they now regret.

Totally get where you're coming from when you say it's like a divorce! Since dd switched- not just gyms, but for a completely different sport, it feels so wierd. Dd seems fine, but I still feel odd not going to gym.

i had quite a lot invested in gym, as did dd, she'd worked so hard to get noticed, and haul her way up from the worst kid with the least talent to one of the best, progressing the fastest. I'd worked hard to build good relationships with coaches and parents, I'm not sociable by nature so it was an effort!

i know it's not "gone to waste" and it will pay off, but dd2 has had to switch gyms as a consequence so I feel like we're starting again. Dd2 isn't an obvious phenom either, but has similar potential to dd1, so we'll have to work to try and get her on team in a new gym where we're not known...

When we did our first switch we had been at the gym for almost 14 years (between DS and DD)! Talk about a feeling of divorce. But within 2 months my DD had made new friends, was doing sleep overs with new friends, was so much more happier about her gymnastics and the bonus the parents were great and I too have new friends. Here were are 3 years later and honestly it is the best thing that could have happened to us. We are still friends with families from old gym too.

We are going the same hours per week, and tuition is a little less. We were driving 45 mins there and back from old gym. this is a 10 min drive. Youngest DD's developmental team was going away because they didn't have enough kids and she was going to be in rec. that was actually why I called around. Had we switched a month ago my oldest DD would have been placed on level 3 team. But now it is too late and season starts too soon. She has all the skills. Oh well.

i can't believe they wouldn't let her do it any way. We often have girls join the team later at our gym and they do just fine.

GAgymmom, they offered for her to join any ways. But with all the routines, she was behind and we would have to get a lot of private lessons to get her caught up. I didn't want to take away anything from the other girls who work so hard either. She will get there next year, no big deal and saves me some $$$ :)

we had to switch 6 months ago for my girl to start team. It was weird at first. But i know its for her best and that helps.

My dd just switched to a new gym, this is now her 2nd full week she is finishing up. She also did the switch right after a badly sprained ankle, so she is still just coming back from that and just starting to do all events. We had been at old gym for 13 years and it was the only gym she had known. She is adjusting well. She misses her old gym buddies, but the new gym and new coaches are the best thing for her. She is outgoing and making friends no problem, actually she came in knowing some of her new teammates already. she's a level 10 and at that point, the girls know each other from meets and for lack of better words "post season" competitions. She is also going to be a Senior in HS.

I know my circumstances are different than many of you, as for me, I don't want to be involved at all. I honestly don't want to meet the other parents and in about a month my dd will start driving and then she can drive herself to and from, so I can really stay out of things. Another plus, with this gym I can pay online, so really I have no reason to be there. I would like my child to be known as the child that doesn't seem to have parents because we never ever see them. I still haven't even met the 2 head coaches, I don't care. I know they are better coaches than what she came from - treatment-wise, for sure! I just want to make it through this last year healthy and happy!!

Granny Smith, sounds like your dd is making the best out of a bad situation.....you must be very proud of her. It takes a lot to leave the only gym that you've known (even is you know that it really is dysfunctional and not the best place to be). She not only left the gym and coaches (better off without), but she had to leave friends that she's been training with for Years! and start fresh. I'm so glad that she's making some great new friends and is loving the coaches and gym. Like you said, when they've been competing the upper levels for a while all the girls kind of know each other from competitions and rotating together at States/Regionals/Nationals.

Sadly, some gyms bully their gymnasts into not keeping friendships with gymmies who have moved to different gyms. Hopefully, your dd's old gym is not one of those and she is able to maintain her friendships with her former teammates. If your dd's old gym does end up being one of Those gyms.......tell your dd to try to not feel betrayed, but instead to feel pity for the teammates left at the old gym. They obviously are in a far worse place and someday they will understand that you don't throw away friendships because your coach is a bully.

Good luck to everyone who switched gyms recently.....pretty soon, it will feel like home :)

Wow Granny Smith, that's a big move after all those years. I am glad that she is adjusting well and making friends.

I really do hope that her old gym does not play the bitter card and keep the girls apart.

We left our gym on very bad terms (and that gym can hold a serious grudge) but somehow the girls were able to remain friends which in grand scheme of things is what really matters.

I love your thoughts on not wanting to get involved. I stay away from my Dd's gym for the most part. I pretty much drop off and then go find something to do. We also have auto draft so there really is no need for me to pop in.

I like the parents and enjoy spending time with them at meets but after all the drama at our 1st gym, I find it easier to just keep things at arms length.

Best of luck to your daughter this season

To the OP, as long as your dd is excited, I'd follow her lead!

We left our old gym almost 2.5 years ago, on bad terms. My oldest had been there for 7 years and Little Monkey for 6. It was the only gym/team she had ever known but immediately fell into her new team like she was home! As for me, I'm the type who can't help myself but get involved, lol. I've made lots of new friends and we are all happy with the move.

Off season seems the best time to switch. Our gym has had girls leave/show up mid season or even near the end of season. Awkward. To our coach's credit, they have been allowed to jump right into team mid season, but it seems like it would be tough on the kid - especially competing against their former teammates at the next meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back