Parents Switching from Xcel to JO, how hard is it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not sure the answer to this question. However I know that one of my dd's teammates is really struggling with the level 4 routine due to using different lead legs for different skills. I guess if you don't use the same leg for skills you incur a deduction? She's having to re-learn some skills due to this reason.

I have a question about the level 4 floor routine. She just started learning it today during a private, but now I'm not sure if she is learning the correct side. Can someone tell me which side of the routine you think she should be learning? She mixes her skills between left and right which of course is never an issue in Xcel.

For dance skills she does the following naturally: leap/sissone (right), split (right), full turn (left)

For acro skills she does the following naturally: ROBHBH (left hand down first), back walkover (right leg kicks up first), back extension roll (left leg comes down in the back), front handspring (hurdles right)

In real life, she is a lefty. Coach is teaching her the lefty routine.

I'm not sure the answer to this question. However I know that one of my dd's teammates is really struggling with the level 4 routine due to using different lead legs for different skills. I guess if you don't use the same leg for skills you incur a deduction? She's having to re-learn some skills due to this reason.

Thanks! I read that the dance skills have to all be on the same side but the acro skills can be reversed if necessary (if there is an asterisk by them in the text). So, if I'm interpreting this right, I'm thinking she should be learning the routine as a righty so she can leap and split right (since her left splits and leaps are HORRIBLE), and then just do her acro skills the way she normally does them since they can be done on either leg. But I think she'd need to learn to turn right since she naturally turns left.

But I don't know if I am misinterpreting. And I don't want to go to the coach sounding like a know it all when I know very little! But I'm paying for privates so I want to make sure that the $$ is being used wisely.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back