Switching Gyms? Where to go? ((Please Read))

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjaiderz1106

My heart is broken.
I have done gymnastics for only 2 years...And the WHOLE time I was at my old gym....They were very slow on progressing with new skills....We NEVER worked cast handstands, any TOPS skills, no upper level skills, didn't learn routines until the 2nd week before our first meet...Did TOO many drills (Drills, good..Too many, bad!) and I just DID NOT learn there! :confused:
The week before I switched from there, they changed from the "regular" USAG compulsories, and optional's program, to USAG excel! They lost all their girls from this: Went from 30 team to girls to no joke, 5, for levels 4-10!
So first of all, please don't just tell me to go back: NOT AN OPTION! (Even as bad as I miss it!)

I am now going to a new gym (literally, new: Just opened)......and girls from all over Utah are switching there. They have a fantastic group of coaches! 2 Olympians, including Missy Marlowe..as coaches, and 1 other Olympic coach.
They have a goal to make it an awesome gym, and VERY well known competitors. (Like WOGA, Cincinnati, Metropolex, etc.) There are absolutely no other gyms in UT like this...and I HAVE ALWAYS wanted to be apart of a gym like that! They are participating in National Gymnastics Day, Parades, competing out of state...Very exciting.
Well anyways, I have been working out there for 3 weeks now..and I have learned TONS, and TONS, and loads, and loads of new skills..and im well on my way! BUT>>>
I CANT TAKE IT! I am coming from..9 hrs a week, to 36 hours a week..Good skills, lots of push, and too much??
I have never said, "I don't want to go to gym! Please don't make me go! Man, I should fake sick to skip gym!"
Im just not having fun there! I don't know if its too much pressure? Or its the fact that I maybe, Miss my team?????? Plus, I cant relate to the other girls there!

I am SO frustrated because this gym has everything I want! Good coaches, a nice gym, GREAT programs.... Lots of participation! But, I cant take it! I feel like its to much pressure, too much push.. But I cant decide if I just need a friend with me? (even though I have 3!)

There is just one more gym... Its cheaper, closer to my house, and the coaches there LOVE me! ;) They participate in parades, they learn new skills...and I think it would be more fun.. But I KNOW the other gym is a better choice...

I just really need help. I cry everyday, and dont wanna go. Which is not normal for me: So PLEASE help, anything you tell me will count.

Sorry this is SO super long...But to sum it up, where would you go?
1. The better gym, but the one that makes you hate the sport?
or..
2. The not so good gym, but still good and more fun...

LOL! So confusing... :confused: AHHH!

36 hours is crazy! Most elite athletes don't train that much (usually like 30 hours I think), but really what is better going to a gym where your not enjoying your self or being in a fun environment still with opportunities to thrive. Unless you are seriously considering going to the Olympics I wouldn't bother with all the hours. Gymnastics is supposed to be fun, no matter what level, if you aren't enjoying yourself you might as well not go.
Too many hours will burn you out and you could end up hating the gym. Keep it fun, at least for now. If you decide that is what you want later you can always go back.
By the way, what level are you and how old are you? They could play a role.

First off, I'm so sorry that you're in this situation. Obviously this gym isn't what you want, as much as you may want to excel in gymnastics, that gym sounds like it will make lots of burnouts. that is too many hours, for ANYONE. Way too many. The answer seems simple. You don't enjoy going to the gym, you HATE it, so you shouldn't force yourself to go to this gym! I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to go to gym, thinking of excuses not to go, I did the same thing when I was younger.

Have you talked to your friends about it, and seen how they feel about the new gym? My recommendation is to go to the gym where the coaches love you. You say that you "KNOW" the new gym is the right choice, but is it really, if you hate going there? Give it a week or so, if you still feel this way, the gym just isn't for you.

So really, if you aren't having fun/ having a good time, what's the point? Sure, the gym might push you, and you might get better for awhile, but clearly this gym isn't a good fit. Your situation really stinks, I wish you the best of luck finding the right gym. :)

Okay so, first of all, training 36 hours is CRAZY! I don't know what level you are but even if you are elite and on your way to the Olympics, thats just bad!

I think that you need to think about this. I mean, is this new gym actually better if it makes you not want to go to practices and has you working to hard? Is it really better if you are feeling lonely? In my opinion the other gym seem waaay better! Better hours, people you know and are comfortable with. You can always switch back to the more serious gym if you feel you need to.

Before you make your decision, remember why you do gymnastics. I do it because I love it! If you do too, then don't sacrifice your love for the sport for a gym.

36 hours is crazy! Most elite athletes don't train that much (usually like 30 hours I think), but really what is better going to a gym where your not enjoying your self or being in a fun environment still with opportunities to thrive. Unless you are seriously considering going to the Olympics I wouldn't bother with all the hours. Gymnastics is supposed to be fun, no matter what level, if you aren't enjoying yourself you might as well not go.
Too many hours will burn you out and you could end up hating the gym. Keep it fun, at least for now. If you decide that is what you want later you can always go back.
By the way, what level are you and how old are you? They could play a role.
Thanks! You are very true... I am only level 7! So that is a lot of hours, and im 12... Not planning on the Olympics! Hahaha thanks again.

Okay so, first of all, training 36 hours is CRAZY! I don't know what level you are but even if you are elite and on your way to the Olympics, thats just bad!

I think that you need to think about this. I mean, is this new gym actually better if it makes you not want to go to practices and has you working to hard? Is it really better if you are feeling lonely? In my opinion the other gym seem waaay better! Better hours, people you know and are comfortable with. You can always switch back to the more serious gym if you feel you need to.

Before you make your decision, remember why you do gymnastics. I do it because I love it! If you do too, then don't sacrifice your love for the sport for a gym.
The last paragraph, made me smile so much! Hahaha, you are so right! Thanks so much! I love gym with my whole heart, and that really helped me! Thank you!!

First off, I'm so sorry that you're in this situation. Obviously this gym isn't what you want, as much as you may want to excel in gymnastics, that gym sounds like it will make lots of burnouts. that is too many hours, for ANYONE. Way too many. The answer seems simple. You don't enjoy going to the gym, you HATE it, so you shouldn't force yourself to go to this gym! I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to go to gym, thinking of excuses not to go, I did the same thing when I was younger.

Have you talked to your friends about it, and seen how they feel about the new gym? My recommendation is to go to the gym where the coaches love you. You say that you "KNOW" the new gym is the right choice, but is it really, if you hate going there? Give it a week or so, if you still feel this way, the gym just isn't for you.

So really, if you aren't having fun/ having a good time, what's the point? Sure, the gym might push you, and you might get better for awhile, but clearly this gym isn't a good fit. Your situation really stinks, I wish you the best of luck finding the right gym. :)
Thanks so much! I have to say, I agreed a lot with you..Maybe i just needed someone else to tell me! Haha, and NO WAY! Not training for the Olympics! :D

I'd definitely go to choice number 2, the closer gym with less hours. You can excel at that gym too, especially if the coaches love you and want to work with you! As long as you have the desire to get better, I'm sure you will where ever you end up. But on another note, the gym you're at now sounds crazy! That's way too much practice for level 7, likes others said, that's more than elites train! And if you're not enjoying it and looking forward to every practice, you must make a change. Gymnastics is a sport you must love and have a passion for, and you have to enjoy every second of it because it doesn't last very long! So it sounds to me you'd be much happier at the other gym, and you will still make progress as long as you give it your best try!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back