WAG Switching Gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been at my current gym my whole life and Im starting to feel like I should switch. I love my team, and I love *some* of my coaches. But honestly, our gym is not that good score-wise except for the level 5 team (my team!). last year we scored in the 116s. But this year, we have a new coach who makes us do all kinds of useless drills and I can tell I'm not improving as much as I could be.

Also, the coach is proposing to split up our team (the only good team at our gym) to push a few people into optionals early. I don't see the point of this, because the best people on our team will still not score as well as they would like if they get pushed ahead, and it will remove the high scores we need to win team. I love being part of a great team that has a chance at winning every meet, and the coach will take that away.

There's a gym 20 minutes from my house that has a reputation for being the best. I even have friends from school there, so I know I'd have fun. I want to at least look at the gym and have a tryout, but my parents think its too far, compared to 10 minutes for my other gym.

I don't know what to do. How do I convince my parents to let me just look at this other gym? And is it a good idea to switch?

It sounds like the team program "tops out" at level five with little being accomplished past that level. The new coach may be having you do these drills to prepare you and your entire program for a better future in the sport, and splitting the team may be a part of that process.

Since you're already there you should give the coach a chance to show you what the near future has in store for you and your team mates. You can easily switch later, like in February or March, but if you switch now and realise later you left an emerging program you'd like to have been a part of it won't be so easy to return.....it never is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back