Parents Switching gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

angel20310

Proud Parent
My daughter will be a level 9 this season. She has been at the same gym since she was a baby. Her gym has only coached one other level 9 in the past and nothing above that. The coach had hired another coach at that time for that gymnast to succeed who is no longer there anymore. The gym is small and doesn't have the update equipment or pitts that I see at other gyms that do have higher level gymnasts. There some staffing issues as well and when the girls are in there there is only two coaches in there and so a lot of times the girls are doing skills by themselves with no spots which I feel is so dangerous for a level 9 to be learning these difficult skills with no help. She just came back from camp and she was so excited because she learned so many new skills and she is bummed now because she said half those skills she will not attempt in her gym due to the equipment and no spotters:( My dd will be in the 10 th grade so she doesn't have the time to be playing around because she really wants to do gymnastics in college as well. I'm just conflicted because we have been at this gym forever but I know a change will have to be made if she wants to progress

I agree. Is your daughter ok with switching ? It sounds like she realizes her current gyms limitations and that she was really excited about her progress at camp. If she is open to switching then the toughest part is actually really behind you! :)

I agree. Time for a switch. She will be sad to leave what feels like home, but if she wants to progress she needs a better situation, period.

Reactions: sce
I agree. Time for a switch. She will be sad to leave what feels like home, but if she wants to progress she needs a better situation, period.
My son is in A very similar position. Same age as well. We are looking to make a move to another gym. He's sad to leave what is familiar but knows he needs more than he can get at the current gym.

I agree with all of the above.

Switching is hard but for us has been worth it.

It takes a bit to fit in but kids are resilient and make new friends quickly. It's often way easier than we make it out in our head to be.

Angel -

You say that your daughter's goal is college gymnastics. If she is committed to that goal and you are prepared to support her achieving that goal, you have to get her to a gym that can SAFELY train Level 10 skills. This includes the facility, equipment, and coaches. This also means a gym that will get her the exposure she needs to be seen by college coaches. At he upper optional levels switching gyms is more about the ability of a gym to support her goals rather then fitting in with teammates. Switch - now!

Good Luck.

Time to go. It's hard, but she has outgrown her current gym and she'll be so much better off at a place that can help her progress!

i think it's pretty common for this to happen. nothing wrong with switching to a gym that is a better fit for a lvl 9 gymnast.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back